5445 Landover Road,
1 person favorited this theater
The Cheverly Theatre opened in 1947 with Red Skelton in “The Show Off”. It was the 10th theatre to be built for the Sydney Lust Theaters chain and was designed by architects John & Drew Eberson in a Streamline-Moderne style. The Cheverly Theatre was plush and elegant, and its auditorium included a painted “sky” on its auditorium ceiling, following the tradition of Eberson’s Atmospheric style palaces of the 1920’s.
Into the 1960’s, the Cheverly Theatre remained a popular cinematic destination, but eventually fell into decline and closed. In 1975, the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission was able to acquire the Cheverly and began a restoration of the former movie house. It reopened thirty years to the day that the Cheverly had its first grand opening in 1947, now serving as a venue for performing arts, legitimate theater, concerts, dance and community events.
Now called the Prince George’s Publick Playhouse for the Performing Arts, or simply the Publick Playhouse, the theater is today one of the most popular performing arts venues in the region.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater