303 South Broadway,
1 person favorited this theater
Operated by the Cluster family, therefore getting its unusual name from the family. The Cluster Theatre opened in 1923, replacing an earlier Cluster Theatre (1909-1921) on the same site, and was the third of three Cluster Theatres to operate in Baltimore. It closed as a movie theatre in 1978. It had the first Wurlitzer theatre organ in Baltimore.
Fell’s Point is one of these areas that seems to reinvent itself every so often, and has survived quite well over the years. The area kept several movies houses open into the 1970’s, but since, all have closed except the Apex Theatre. The Cluster Theatre was closed in December 1977, but reopened a year later screening Chinese movies. In July 1981 it became Cinema X screening adult porn movies, but this only lasted a brief while, before reverting back to regular movies until final closure December 8, 1981.
The Cluster Theatre building sat vacant for years, and started to show signs of neglect, but has since been used by a Hispanic church, and seems to be doing well. The Cluster’s ornate marquee still stands today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater