4023 Olive Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened as the Olive Theatre in 1911 with 1,096 seats. It 1913 it went over to legitimate theatre use and was renamed Marguerite Clark Theatre. In 1915 it became a full-time movie theatre, one of the larger neighborhood theatres operated by Franchon & Marco and was renamed Congress Theatre. It was just west of the Grand White Way where all the big movie palaces were. This was a beautiful theatre with a very impressive front and very large marquee. The inside was very ornate and had a fairly large balcony.
The thing that made its interior so different from the other ornate theatre is that everything was done in green. The curtains, the seating, the carpet and all the wall decorations. The theatre walls were lined with ornate wall sconces that dimmed at the start of the feature. A large chandelier in the main auditorium really lit the theatre up before and after the movie. One of the largest concession stands of any of the neighborhood theatres.
The Congress Theatre was closed in July 1954, and was used by a church for a while until it was demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater