10 Regent Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regent Street Picture House was opened on 22nd March 1913. It was built for and operated by Weston-super-Mare Picture House Ltd. and was designed by Bristol based cinema architect William Henry Watkins. The facade was in Bath stone in a Renaissance style, with a central recess containing four Ionic pillars. The top of the facade was crowned by a centrally placed statue of a woman holding a torch with two maidens sat at her feet. The foyer was in a Georgian style. Inside the auditorium seating was originally provided for 1,500 with 1,200 in the stalls and 300 in the circle.
It was taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain in April 1930 and was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It was renamed Regent Cinema.
On the 15th November 1954 it was re-named Gaumont and it was closed by the Rank Organisation on 9th June 1973 to be converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club which opened on 25th July 1973 and was still operating in 1984.
The building was demolished around 1985. The decorative plaster churubs inside the building were saved. A Yates pub now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater