106-108 N. Washington Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Henry Goldman launched the Colonial Theatre, his third photoplay house, in downtown Green Bay on June 4, 1913. Mayor Winford Abrams was at the opening and delivered remarks prior to the first show followed by music by the Green Bay City Band. The 650-seat theatre had a solid silver screen and a candy shop.
In 1915, the theatre signed a contract with Challenge Motion Pictures. In 1922, the theatre closed briefly for a major overhaul. On April 4, 1926, Goldman sold the Colonial Theatre and Grand Theatre to Saxe Brothers Circuit. Saxe sold the theatres to Fox Circuit in 1931.
Fox dropped the Colonial Theatre and Strand Theatre in October of 1931 but the Colonial Theatre continued independently. The Colonial Theatre closed July 18, 1933 at the end of a 20-year lease and the operator was unable to come to terms on a new lease. In 1934, the building was gutted for George Bertrand’s sporting goods store opening May 4.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater