1219 Yonkers Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Originally built as a shirt factory, it became a movie studio and then a skating rink. The Kimball Theatre in Yonkers was opened March 12, 1937 with Lily Pons in “That Girl From Paris” & Gloria Stuart in “Wanted, Jane Turner”. It was once owned by Samuel M. Rubin. In the mid-1970’s it briefly operated as The Movies. It was closed on July 29, 1979. It briefly reopened in 1980, but finally closed on January 1, 1981 with Black Sabbath in “Black and Blue in Concert”. After closing the decrepit marquee remained above the theatre’s entrance. The interior was most recently used as a showroom for new and used furniture.
The former theatre was badly damaged in a fire in November 2004. Another fire on January 9, 2010 did further damage to the remains. The front section of the building still stood in 2015 and was demolition began in summer of 2016 and was completed in December 2016.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater