7-9 Boar Lane,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The City Cinema was opened on 4th October 1916 with Henry B. Walthall in “Beulah”. It was designed by Leeds based architect J.P. Crawford. The entrance was through an existing building, with the auditorium buit at the rear. All seating was on a single floor and the proscenium was 16ft wide. It was re-named Savoy Cinema on 14th October 1925. Re-named Academy Cinema on 1st January 1951, it was operated by the Regent Circuit Ltd. and was equipped with a Milhay sound system. On 23rd December 1936 it taken over by Allied (Times) Theatres Ltd. was re-named Tatler News Theatre screening newsreels, cartoons and short subjects continuously. It had been equipped with a RCA sound system. By 1944 it had been re-named Tatler Cinema, still screening newsreels.
Around 1958 it was taken over by Cinema Centers Ltd. of 100 Baker Street London (a subsidiary of the Classic Cinemas chain) and following a re-name to Tatler Theatre, it began screening feature films. Cinema Centres Ltd. became part of Capitol & Provincial Newsreel Theatres Ltd. (another subsidiary of the Classic Cinemas chain. The Tatler Theatre was closed on 27th January 1964 with Stewart Granger in “Sodom and Gomorrah”. It was later demolished and Royal Exchange House office building was built on the site.
(Not to be confused with the New Tatler Cinema Club which has its own page on Cinema Treasures as the Classic Leeds.)
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater