All Saints Green,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: J. Owen Bond
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Carlton Cinema
News About This Theater
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
Anyone glancing at this depressingly metal clad featureless building in recent years would be hard pressed to imagine that this was once an Art Deco style super cinema. It opened as the Carlton Cinema in 1932, was enlarged and reopened, with double the number of seats - now 1,920, only two years later in 1934 when it was operated by Lou Morris. Two years after that it was taken over by County Cinemas and then by Odeon Theatres Ltd.
After the city’s Gaumont cinema was closed and demolished in 1959, Rank rebranded the Carlton Cinema with the Gaumont name which lasted until closure in 1973.
It reopened as a Top Rank Bingo Club immediately and remained a bingo club until closing as a Mecca Bingo Club on 18th April 2011 when serious structural defects were found in the building. The building was demolished between June and August 2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.