310 Fulton Street,
2 people favorited this theater
With Eugene DeRosa as architect, the Hempstead Theatre was the first “deluxe” theatre to be built in the rapidly growing Nassau County city of Hempstead, Long Island. Salvatore Calderone already ran the Strand Theatre, which he bought from its original owners, but it was too small and antiquated for his planned policy of first-run movies and vaudeville.
The Hempstead Theatre opened on April 29, 1922, and was an instant success. The profits enabled Calderone to start a circuit of theatres that expanded beyond Hempstead to Westbury, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Mineola, and Glen Cove. After Calderone’s death, his family turned the management of the Hempstead Theatre and most of the other theatres over to the Skouras Theaters Cop. circuit.
The Hempstead Theatre was eventually sold and converted into the local branch of the N.Y. State Department of Motor Vehicles. The DMV moved out in the late-1990’s and a church took over the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater