Little Carnegie Theatre
146 W. 57th Street,
8 people favorited this theater
Opened in 1928, the Little Carnegie Playhouse was for many decades one of the premiere art houses in Manhattan, along with the Paris Theatre, Beekman Theatre, Sutton Theatre, Plaza Theatre, Fine Arts Theatre and Baronet Theatre. It was opened in 1928 and designed in a ‘modern’ style by architect Wolfgang Hoffman. Located on W. 57th Street, adjacent to Carnegie Hall and the Russian Tea Room. It had a very sizable lobby and waiting area for a theatre its size, and the plush seats and eveything about the theatre spelled Class…with a capital ‘C’.
It was remodeled in 1952 to the plans of architect John J. McNamara in a Streamline Moderne style. All seating was on a single sloping floor. The Little Carnegie Theatre was closed in April 1982. It is sorely missed.
It is not to be confused with the Carnegie Hall Cinema, which was around the corner on 7th Avenue.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater