Webster Theatre

1227 Hadley Street,
St. Louis, MO 63106

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

| Street View

The Webster Theatre opened in December 1915 as a small neighborhood house seating 696. It was an independent theatre. Located on the corner of Hadley Street and Webster Street across from the park and right next door to the Webster Elementary School. The theatre was loacted in a near north side neighborhood of Italian and Irish families.

Just a short distance from downtown St. Louis made it easy for the neighborhood to walk to the big palaces downtown or the attend their neighborhood Webster Theatre. The Webster Theatre was a mainstay of the neighborhood until the mid-1950’s when television came along, it started weekend only operations and later closed for good in June 1952.

The theatre became a church, and then stood empty with the doors torn away and holes in the side walls. It was demolished in the mid-1960’s.

Contributed by Charles Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

tlong on September 28, 2007 at 1:01 pm

The Webster was not demolished in 1959. The building was still there in 1964 the year I moved from St. Louis. After it closed it was used as a church and the concession stand became a local teen hangout known as Sheets. The Webster also had an airdome and the screen was blown down by high winds around 1960.

JAlex on October 28, 2008 at 8:54 am

To offer verifiable information:

Theatre opened in December 1915; theatre closed in June 1952.

Capacity listed as 935 seats.

The correct address: 1227 Hadley Street.

JAlex on March 31, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Opening date has been further narrowed down to Christmas week, 1915.

SethG on April 15, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Needs to be listed as demolished.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater