333 Oak Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The current State Theatre is actually the second building on this site to be called the State Theatre.
The first structure, originally known as the Opera House, was built in 1908, but was destroyed by fire in 1944. Two years later, the owners T & D Theatres built the current State Theatre on the same site, opening on May 24, 1946 with Allan Ladd in “The Blue Dahlia”. The State Theatre had 1,160 seats on a stadium plan. The proscenium was 24 feet wide, the stage being 40 feet wide and 16 feet deep.
The State Theatre has now reopened as a performing arts center. Renovation in 2008 includes the removal of walls that were added to create mulitple screening rooms within the theater’s original auditorium.
As these walls have come down, the theater’s murals have become more prominent. And the theater recently received a preservation award from the Art Deco Society of California.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater