1122 4th Avenue,
24 people favorited this theater
This Spanish Colonial Revival style theatre was opened on April 22, 1927 and seated over 2,200 patrons. It was built by and operated by West Coast Theatres and was equipped with a Wurlitzer organ. It presented vaudeville & movies until 1937 when it became a first run movie theatre. Mann Theatres were the last operators and they closed the California Theatre in 1976. In 1978/1979 it was used by the Old Globe Theatre after its Balboa Park theatre building was damaged by arson.
The California Theatre was renovated in 1988, and was used as a concert venue, but two years later in 1990, it was closed and scheduled for demolition.
In 2001, in addition to restorations, plans called for a wide redevelopment of the entire area, which should bring the theater back into the spotlight and out from the shadows of time.
In early-2011, plans were progressing to renovate the building and eventually reopen as Davenports Supper Club on April 22, 2013. In 2015 the owner of the building applied for a demolition permit. Demolition permits were granted in April 2017.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater