601 Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened as Hale’s Opera House, located on the second floor of the building on Main Street. In 1913, the theater moved to the first floor, and, in addition to live performances, movies began being shown. Eventually, movies became the exclusive form of entertainment at the Keystone Theatre. By 1950 it was operated by Comerford Theaters Inc.
During the 1970’s, the ceiling was dropped, covering the balcony, and the stage area was enclosed and covered with a new screen. In 1987, when the Keystone Theatre closed, it had not aged well, and was in need of major repairs.
In 1988, the theatre was acquired by the Bradford County Regional Arts Council with the intention of converting it into a multi-use cultural center, including film, live theater, music and educational programs. Over the next four years, about $1 million was spent on returning the Keystone Theatre to its original appearance, while at the same time, updating and adding basic needs, such as heat, electricity, projection equipment, new roofs, fire escapes, and handicap accesibility. Also, its 550 seats were repaired, the plasterwork in the auditorium restored, and the lobby enlarged. The drop ceiling of the 1970’s was removed, and the balcony returned to use, and the stage was restored, the false wall in front of it removed.
In 2001, an addition was built, including dressing rooms, rehersal space and classrooms. Today, the Keystone Theatre not only hosts live entertaiment on its stage, when no live shows are scheduled it screens first-run films.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater