20 Rue Cujas,
4 people favorited this theater
Replacing a famous Latin Quarter cabaret named Gypsy, the Studio Cujas opened in 1957 with a narrow auditorium but quite a big space for the façade and the lobby.
Run by a small chain of Parisian movie theatres, mostly American movies were presented in their original version. In the 1960’s, this theatre was managed by Francois Truffaut, the French director.
After being dark for a time, a new owner began more than just a renovation - a new concept, with a book shop, a bar, a new name, Espace Accattone Cinema, (derived from the Pasolini movie “Accattone”), and an art gallery. It re-opened on 23rd September 1987.
Without financial help from the City of Paris, this kind of art movie theatre would not survive and sometimes its future is not obvious.
It was closed in March 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. It was announced in August 2020 that the closure would be permanent and the cinema had been purchased by the neighbouring Hotel Excelsior to become an extension for the hotel.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater