Momart Theatre

590 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11217

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Smaller theatre located downtown Brooklyn at Fulton Street and Rockwell Place. The Montmartre Theatre was opened on September 2, 1927 with the French movie version of “Les Miserables”. In 1927 a Kilgen 2 manual, 4 ranks organ was installed. All seating was on a single level.

In 1928 it was renamed Momart Theatre and in December 1929 became a newsreel & short subjects theatre. The Momart Theatre operated until 1954, by which time it was screening Italian films.

It was demolished and the site has been used as a car park for many decades.

Contributed by J.F. Lundy

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

EMarkisch
EMarkisch on September 6, 2004 at 11:59 pm

The following information for the Momart was found on the Orpheum (Brooklyn) page and really should be here…..

Up the block (from the Orpheum) was the Montemartre (aka Momart) a small theatre which opened in 1927 at 590 Fulton Street. The Momart was opened by Warner Brothers and featured foreign films for its' 26 years as neighbor to the RKO Orpheum. This area of theatres came about in the early 1900’s as the turn of century theatres of the 1860’s started to move away from Brooklyn Government Buildings now Cadman Plaza. The movie palaces where in the proximity of Flatbush & Fulton Streets. Brooklyn’s Times Square was just as impressive as New York’s. How 12 theatres in the area boasting over 40,000 seats survived the depression is just how important movies and theatres were a fabric of society during the 1930’s and ‘40’s.
posted by Orlando on Mar 1, 2004 at 2:57pm

In addition to above, The Momart went down with the Orpheum 1n 1953-54. The Strand was out by 1958. The Majestic just kept on going.
posted by Orlando on Mar 1, 2004 at 3:00pm

jflundy
jflundy on February 23, 2009 at 5:31 pm

The 1928 Brooklyn Red Book lists a movie venue, the Putnam Theater, up Fulton from the Momart’s 590 Fulton. It is listed at Fulton and Grand Avenue. That would put it somewhere around 1003 to 1012 Fulton. Is this theater listed under another name on this site ?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm

The street view for this theater is off by about a block to the south. I also believe the status of the building should be amended to “demolished.” The northwest corner of Fulton Street and Rockwell Place is depicted in the street view as being vacant and surrounded by construction fencing. The location would be diagonally across from the old Strand Theatre, which is adjacent to the current BAM Harvey.

To correct the street view, turn to the right and head down Fulton to the next intersection (Rockwell Pl). The far corner on the left with the blue fencing should be the site of the late Momart Theatre.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 25, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Here is a very belated answer to the question jflundy asked more than three years ago: Putnam Theatre was one of many aka’s for a house that opened in 1885 as the Criterion Theatre, and closed with the same name in 1929. It has now been listed on this Cinema Treasures page.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater