Orpheum Theater Center
220 East Main Street,
5 people favorited this theater
The Orpheum Theatre was the first theatre built by RKO following World War II. It opened June 22, 1949 with Ruth Warrick and Gabby Hayes as featured guests and with 915 original seats. The theater was constructed to replace the Capitol Theatre which was destroyed by fire in 1946.
Marshalltown is the birthplace of film stars Jean Seberg and Mary Beth Hurt. And because of this connection, in 1957, the theater was host to the US premiere of Jean Seberg’s “Saint Joan”.
The theater was closed by its previous operator, Fridley’s, in favor of their nearby multiplex. Concerned local residents have formed a non-profit to save the Orpheum Theatre.
The group plans to purchase the theater and transform it into a multi-purpose community facility. When the Orpheum Theatre is reopened, it will show films, have lecture and symposium spaces, and feature a stage & screen museum (which will be located in the vacated rear area created during the theater’s late-1970’s twin conversion). Renovation began in 2008 with completion in the summer of 2010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater