109 S. Main Street,
12 people favorited this theater
Opened on July 28, 1928, the DuPage Theater was the creation of the Midwest Paramount Theatre Corporation. This movie palace was designed by R.G. Wolff, who was associated with the Chicago architecture firm of Rapp and Rapp, which is recognized as the foremost theater architectural firm in American history.
The DuPage Theater was one of the rare Atmospheric style theaters first conceived by famed architect John Eberson. Using a combination of architectual features and special lighting effects, the theatergoer was transported to an outdoor Spanish garden setting with twinkling stars covering a lovely patio. In theaters like the DuPage, the building and its special lighting effects were as much a part of the show as the entertainment presented onscreen and onstage.
The DuPage Theater played host to all the great classic films, as well as featured live entertainers such as Gene Autry, Pat Butram and George Gobel. It was also a favorite location for live radio broadcasts of such popular shows as the National Barn Dance.
In May of 2007, after years of controversy and struggle, the battle was lost by its supporters for keeping the DuPage Theater from the wrecking crew, and was torn down to make way for future development of the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater