AED Globe Theatre
1907 Florida Avenue NW,
4 people favorited this theater
Loew’s Theaters opened the Embassy Theater on August 29, 1963 with Janet Leigh in “Wives & Lovers” with the film star appearing ‘in person’. The Washington Post described it: “A graceful, curving facade greets the customer, who is ushered into a wide foyer carpeted in wall-to-wall blue wool…flecked…with tiny red-and-black spots. Inside the pleasant auditorium, the cleverly staggered chairs soothe the eye with blue basket-weave nylon upholstery. A fluted curtain in the same color covers the screen…and uniquely rises in Austrian curtain style.”
The Loew’s organization sold the theater in June 1978 to the Pedas Brothers, who renamed it the Embassy Circle, to fit in with their other theaters, the Circle, Inner Circle, and Outer Circle 1 and 2.
In August 1998, the Embassy Theatre closed. It reopened in 2000 as the Visions Cinema Bistro Lounge, under an independent operator, after being renoveated into one auditorium of 210 seats plus a 32 seat balcony, and a second auditorium with 115 seats. The redone theatre showed repertory, independent, and experimental films. It closed in September 2004 and has been converted into office space.
It re-opened in July 2009 as a multi-use venue, known as the AED Globe Theatre. It was closed in 2014 and was converted into a gymnasium, which opened in February 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater