Janus 3 Theatre
1660 Connecticut Avenue NW,
3 people favorited this theater
The Janus Twin Theatre opened in 1965, on the ground floor of a late-1950’s-era office building located in the DuPont Circle neighborhood of Washington. It was built for John Louis Field and Hugh N. Jacobsen as an independent twin theater, one of the first twins to be built in the DC area. Its auditoriums sat 180 and 153. It was known for showing off-beat and avant garde films, and the Janus Film Society hosted midnight Saturday and noon Sunday screenings in its earlier years.
Later, the Janus Twin Theatre was acquired by Cineplex Odeon (later Loews-Cineplex) which would eventually triplex the theatre. The theatre was nicked named the “Heinous Janus” by Washingtonians due to the theatre’s less-than-stellar decor, its strangely sloped floors which were not quite stadium seating, and a column in the center of one of the original auditoriums. Still, it was one of the few theatres in the city which, even after ceasing to operate as an independent, screened a varied mix of first-run and more unusual films until the end.
When the Janus 3 Theatre was shuttered in 2002 by Loews, ironically, one of the last films playing there was “Hollywood Ending”. A restaurant has since taken over the former theatre space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater