AMC Covina 17
1414 N. Azusa Avenue,
8 people favorited this theater
Operated by: AMC Theatres
Firms: STK Architects
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: AMC Covina 30
The AMC Covina 30 opened on Friday February 13th, 1998 and was immediately billed as the biggest theatre in the San Gabriel Valley. It opened in the Covina Town Square at the corner Of Azusa Avenue (CA SR 39) and Arrow Highway.
The theatre’s construction was plagued with a large delay when the construction crew tearing down the Sears Department Store’s basement hit a pipe with methane gas. One worker was killed, halting construction.
The AMC Covina was not an immediate success. Faltering attendance plagued the theatre for the first years, and it was not until two summers later that it became the busy theatre it was meant to be.
This theatre did cause the closure of the So Cal Chain’s Eastland 5, and Fox 3 (which for a time became an Indian film house) plus the Edwards Foothill 10 (now a Regency Theatre) and Mann Glendora 6.
This theatre has 13 theatres on the north side, and 13 of on the south wing. All ranged in size from 75 seats to 250 seats. The four large theatres were located in the middle with the main concession stand, two auditoriums with 475 seats, two with 375. It had a total of 4,500-seats It also has a nice upper mezzanine that looks down on the lobby doors. It is also in the same styling as many AMC megaplexes built around the same time.
Sound wise, all 30 feature SDDS. Theatres 15,16, and 23 had DTS Readers, and theatre 16 was the only one with Dolby Digital, which was upgraded to DD-EX when “Phantom Menace” opened.
13 of the screens were closed down in early-2011 and the current seating capacity has been reduced to 3,129.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.