Loew's Vendome Theatre
615 Church Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Firms: J. B. McElfatrick and Sons
Previous Names: Vendome Theatre
The Vendome Theatre was built as an opera house with two balconies and sixteen boxes. The main curtain featured scenes from the Paris Place Vendome. The first performance was October 3, 1887 featuring Emma Abbott in “Il Trovatore”. It was rebuilt in 1901 to the plans of architect Frank Cox.
Loew’s took the hall in the mid-1920’s providing vaudeville and movies. The last movie was “The Dirty Dozen” seen on the evening of August 8, 1967. Patrons that night reported smelling burning rubber. After the last show a thorough search of the theatre found nothing. Later the janitors discovered the upper balcony ablaze. The ceiling and roof then caught fire and collapsed into the auditorium bringing both balconies to the floor.
The Vendome Theatre’s lobby survived as retail space until 1986.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.