64 Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Regent Theatre, built and operated by Kerridge Odeon Theatres to replace previous structure (Olympic Theatre, by 1914 the Kings Theatre) which was built in 1890.
The Regent Theatre opened 23rd February 1940; opening feature Errol Flynn in “Dodge City”. Designed in a late Art Deco style, the original seating capacity was for 600 in stalls and circle. Neon and concealed decorative lighting were a feature. Closed February 1977.
Purchased by local drama society August 1977 and converted to two auditoriums (one for movies in the former circle with seating for 187, one for live shows in the former stalls – name changed to Upstairs Downstairs Theatre – re-opened November 1977). Most internal and external lighting features removed at this stage (many were not in working order).
Facade, entrance and foyer restored 2001 and name reverted to Regent Theatre.
At present movies screened only Friday, Saturday, and Sunday plus extra sessions during school holidays in the upstairs screen which now has 175 seats. Dolby stereo sound system installed 2000. It used 2 projector change-over system (Walturdaw 5 projectors c.1935) and Ashcraft Suprex carbon arcs until late 2007, when a new Kinoton projector and platter and Dolby Digital sound was installed. There is also a DVD/Hard drive server system with a Panasonic PT-DW5100 Video Projector, which allows access to a great choice of films. Owned by Pahiatua Repertory Society and operated by Pahiatua Upstairs Cinema Society.
The downstairs auditorium is used for live performances only and has no projection equipment or screen.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater