109 E. 12th Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Boller Brothers
Located in downtown Kansas City, the Regent Theatre was built in 1914 for Frank Newman. The Regent Theatre was opened March 26, 1916 with Fannie Ward in “For the Defense”. It was equipped with a Kimball organ. It bought in 1920 by Maurice, Edward and Barney Dubinsky, who then incorporated as Dubinsky Theatres. In around 1943 until at least 1950, it was operated by Commonwealth Amusement chain, and they had architecture firm Boller Brothers remodel the theatre in 1947.
Later going back to Dubinsky Theatre, who later changed their (and the company’s) name to Durwood, they built a chain of theatres in the Kansas City area. In 1961, the chain passes to Edward’s son Stanley, who changed the name to American Multi-Cinema (AMC).
It 1963, AMC opened its first multiplex cinema, the Parkway Twin. Later in the early-1960’s, the Regent Theatre closed on May 12, 1964 and was converted into a men’s' clothing store. It was demolished in 1985 to make way for an office tower.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.