216 S. Jefferson Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on S. Jefferson Avenue near Park Central Square. The Jefferson Theatre was opened as a vaudeville theatre September 28, 1911. In January 1921 it became a full time movie theatre. Taken over by Fox Theatres and remodelled in 1930 to the plans of architect Lee DeCamp, it was renamed Fox Plaza Theatre on September 14, 1930. It was renamed Jewell Theatre on January 14, 1948.
The front entrance was housed in a two story building. The theatre had a large rectangular marquee with large neon letters spelling out the theatre name on three sides. There was a large spacious lobby before entering the beautiful auditorium.
The Jewell Theatre drew large crowds into the 1950’s when the suburban theatres started opening and cutting into the downtown theatre business. The Jewell Theatre was closed on February 3, 1954. From August 7, 1954 it became home to ABC Television’s Ozark Jubilee show. The Jewell Theatre closed its doors on September 23, 1960. It was demolished in February 1961.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater