Diana Theatre

186 N. 9th Street,
Noblesville, IN 46060

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Diana Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Opened on March 22, 1920 as the American Theatre with “The Vengeance of Durrand”. On May 8, 1920 was renamed Olympic Theatre and closed as a silent movie theatre on December 28, 1929. It reopened as the State Theatre December 8, 1933 and closed in 1937. In August 1938 it reopened as the Diana Theatre.

The Diana Theatre was the place to be on weekends with its old style fold down seats and the reddish orange curtains. It used to pack them in every week end even if the feature was a bad one. The only other form of entertainment was the Rainbo roller rink.

It was closed in July of 1977. The theatre was converted into a bank and was demolished in 1993 to make way for a parking lot and automated teller machine for Society Bank.

Contributed by Chuck Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on December 13, 2017 at 4:26 am

The American Theatre project began in 1919 displacing the city’s oldest structure, a house built in 1842/3. The American Theatre opened on March 22, 1920 with “The Vengeance of Durand.” The theatre closed shortly thereafter. Under new ownership, it relaunched as the Olympic Theatre on May 8, 1920 with “The Virgin of Stamboul”. The Olympic Theatre closed as a silent house on December 28, 1929 likely at the end of a 10 year lease.

The Goulden & Feldman Circuit took on the theatre relaunching on December 8, 1933 as the State Theatre with “Before Midnite” and “So This is Harris.” The State closed in May of 1937. The Moore Circuit next took on the facility. It was rebranded as the Diana Theatre with a soft launch on August 23, 1938 and an official grand opening on August 28, 1938.

The theatre struggled in the 1970s closing once before reopening and then closing for good in 1977. In 1978, a classified ad offered the remnants of the then-closed Diana Theatre. In 1980, the building became a financial institution, the American National Bank. In 1993, the city used imminent domain to have the building razed in favor of a parking lot.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater