122 N. Ashley Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened in 1941, this was a small one-screen theatre in downtown Valdosta, Georgia. It is one of the two remaining theatres from the Martin Theatre chain that still stand in Valdosta.
At one time the city of 50,000 was home to several Martin Theatres. After the last movie flickered off the screen in 1966, it was closed for several years. It reopened briefly in 1977 to 1979. It later served as a furniture warehouse after all the interior was gutted.
The local arts center and a group of thespians worked diligently to raise funds and grant money to restore the building to its original state.
The exterior is lined with tiny blue glass mirrors and the doors are Chinese Red. Pastel colors line the facade. The original red marquee still stands with the theatre name in black individual standing cut letters above each side.
Neon lights trim the marquee but the neon that lined the large glass windows on the facade are no longer present. The upstairs bathrooms and projection booth feature wagon wheel/porthole type windows. All can be seen from the front. The balcony face bares the Martin Theatre Logo emblazoned in red, gold, and white.
Today the Dosta Theatre is known as the Dosta Playhouse and is home to Theatre Guild Valdosta. The Guild purchased the building in the 90s and then later purchased adjoining buildings for much needed expansion.
The Guild produces 6 shows each year. Dinner is served at the four major shows on some nights. The acting troop is rapidly gaining popularity in the area and the old Dosta Theatre is once again a source of entertainment and community pride.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater