227 Wimbledon Park Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Ward & Ward
Previous Names: Lyceum Cinema
Located in the southwest London district of Southfields. The Lyceum Cinema opened on 27th January 1917. Designed by the architectural firm Ward & Ward, it used to have a typical facade for a cinema of that vintage, and inside the auditorium there is a barrel vaulted ceiling, with simple mouldings. On the side walls, are plaster garlands, and these are repeated on the exterior side walls in stucco. In 1925, noted cinema architect George Coles carried out some improvements to the auditorium. In June 1936, architect Richard Seifert altered the facade and enlarged the foyer in an Art Deco style, and it was re-named Plaza Cinema from 29th June 1936.
The Plaza Cinema was taken over by Southan Morris; S.M. Super Cinemas in 1945, and then was taken over by the Essoldo chain in 1953. The Plaza Cinema was closed on 13th January 1968 with Lynn Redgrave in "Georgy Girl" and David Warner in "Morgan - A Suitable Case For Treatment".
It was immediately converted into an Essoldo Bingo Club, later operated by Ladbrokes. From 1987, was in use as a snooker club, first known as Jester’s Snooker Club, and last known as Riley’s Pool & Snooker Club until closure in the summer of 2010.
There was a strong local campaign with support to re-open the Plaza as a cinema again, but this was not to be and permission to demolish was granted in June 2013, and it was razed in 2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.