Hollywood Theater: Then & Now

posted by Sean Ryan on February 16, 2004 at 9:31 pm

MINNEAPOLIS, MN — As the Hollywood Theater awaits renovation by a local theater arts organization this spring, I thought I’d dig up some pictures from the archives.

The vintage shots are from 1935. The more recent photos are from my tour this last winter with the Hollywood Theater Task force, a group that wants to spur interest and possible development of the theater.

Enjoy!

The Hollywood’s entrance lobby when the theater opened in 1935.

A shot of the Hollywood’s lobby also taken in 1935…

… and the same lobby today.

The Hollywood’s Auditorium then…

…and, again, almost 70 years later.

A recent shot of the theater’s basement lounge.

…and the same location in 1935.

A shot of the entrance lobby today.

The Hollywood’s marquee lights up the night sky in this shot from circa 1936, when the theater was showing the film Everything Is Thunder.

Theaters in this post

Comments (54)

RobertR
RobertR on February 17, 2004 at 11:24 am

Is that slime all over the walls in the auditorium? They could film a horror movie in there which could infuse some cash toward the renovations.

edward
edward on February 17, 2004 at 11:53 am

Thanks for posting some great shots. Time has not been kind to this theater. Definitely worth restoring.

sdoerr
sdoerr on February 17, 2004 at 12:13 pm

Wow definitely a gem! Thanks for the pics Sean Ryan! here is a link to the site you gave us with the current view of the exterior: http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/898

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on February 17, 2004 at 3:10 pm

For a minute, I thought they were underwater pix of the Titanic.

Sean Ryan
Sean Ryan on February 17, 2004 at 3:38 pm

It is pretty amazing what water can do to a building. All of the damage seen occured after my fair city took over the property. They neglected to replace the roof for 8 years all while keeping the sump pump in the basement turned off. A few weeks before the pics, the basement lounge (above) had 8 inches of water. There were wooden gang-planks on bricks to walk around on.
The city did pay for a new roof recently as well as lead and asbestos abatment.

And yes, that is slime as well as mold. The walls were so wet that the mold grew like fur. The auditorium shot shows the spore count in the air. It was bad but now heaters have been installed to dry it out.

sdoerr
sdoerr on February 18, 2004 at 1:45 pm

Sean can you send me any more pics or bigger ones or more info? Please send it to

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on February 19, 2004 at 8:08 am

FYI — we just added three more shots to this story: the basement lounge in 1935, the entrance lobby today, and a great nighttime shot from 1936. Thanks again, Sean!

Sean Ryan
Sean Ryan on February 19, 2004 at 9:00 am

I believe the front of the marquee says something to the effect of: Minneapolis' Most Beautiful Suburban Theater.

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on February 19, 2004 at 9:05 am

… or maybe “America’s Most Beautiful Suburban Theater”. The first word seems too short to be Minneapolis.

Sean Ryan
Sean Ryan on April 12, 2004 at 11:37 am

I looked up the original print and the marquee in the top picture says ‘The Incomparable Showplace of the Northwest’. What’s odd is the theater is in NE Minneapolis not, oh say, Tacoma or Portland.

MacDonald
MacDonald on March 8, 2005 at 10:06 am

Hi,
I am a seinor at the U of M. I am creating an artist book (for a class) of the exterior photos I have taken of the Hollywood. Does anyone have some first hand stories or memories they would like to share? If anyone would be willing for me to include parts of those stories in my book, I would really appreciate it. Full credit etc. would be given.
Thank you to all for their time!!
M

Patsy
Patsy on July 24, 2006 at 5:18 pm

This is a fascinating theatre especially with the constrasting photos of then and now. I truly hope it is being restored to its former glory and beauty.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on July 25, 2006 at 2:03 am

Wow… did you catch all those orbs in that one photo?? “Someone’s” crying out for help – they want their beautiful theater restored and brought back to life!

Patsy
Patsy on July 25, 2006 at 4:01 am

SchineHistorian: Glad to see that you entered an ‘orb post’ as I, for one, hope that we get an informed answer to this particular ‘orb photo’, asap!

Patsy
Patsy on July 25, 2006 at 4:23 am

This site goes into the topic of orbs which many will find interesting. The author titles the report……the trouble with “orbs” and we are given a rather clear explanation as to what they really are, according to Troy Taylor.

SchineHistorian
SchineHistorian on July 25, 2006 at 4:47 am

To each his own, Patsy. I shoot on regular old film and get amazing orbs in some all kinds of theaters both restored and derelict. Debunkers and disbelievers are entitled to their opinions, but I choose to believe that in some cases (not all) orbs are friendly contact from “past residents” who are making their presence and their pleasure known to us. I wouldn’t think their “signs” are intended for those who do not wish to accept them! : )

Sean Ryan
Sean Ryan on October 23, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Or the pictures of ‘orbs’ are simply dust and spores that were clogging my lungs and mucus membranes as I took those photos. It was overwhelming.

Patsy
Patsy on August 3, 2007 at 11:48 am

I was just driving by the Hollywood theater and thinking about how it could be used as a non-profit community/youth arts center. I can see that a number of ventures are apparently underway, but would very much like to see what could be done to support a non-profit arts venture in conjunction with that which is already occurring. I’m an art teacher in Columbia Heights and would love to know what my students and I could do to support this idea. I would also be willing to write some grants (i.e. State Arts Board) or form a committee of local arts organization/art teachers to get the ball rolling. Let me know what I can do.

Ariane
posted by ariane on Aug 3, 2007 at 11:28am

biograph68
biograph68 on September 6, 2007 at 10:46 am

There is a web site related to an effort to restore the theater.
The “news” on the site hasn’t been updated for several months. Does anyone have any updates?

MeganMarie
MeganMarie on September 19, 2008 at 8:26 pm

I drive past this theater a few times a week. I am constantly tempted to break in! I am a professional photographer and would LOVE to venture inside and explore. Seeing these images posted gives me inspiration to visit the building even more.

If anyone knows whom to contact in order to get the “OK” for a day inside the theater, please contact me. Obviously, I would prefer to not break the law when I go and take images inside the building. Then again, maybe it’s worth it? :)

Megan

spectrum
spectrum on June 8, 2009 at 7:56 am

The website above finally got updated – the association disbanded because of obstacles being put up by the city. They said the city apparently wants the theatre to be renovated by a commercial developer.

twofastdogs
twofastdogs on November 22, 2009 at 3:44 pm

I took some pictures yesterday during an open house:
They were selling off some of the seats that were salvaged (I bought two) but many had been destroyed due to the leaky roof. I can’t imagine how much work went into removing what was left of the ceiling and stripping the walls—not mention the asbestos removal! The pictures don’t do justice as to how well the place actually looks.

The building is structurally sound and is currently awaiting a buyer.

Anyway, enjoy the pics.
-K

Griffin
Griffin on September 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I only found this site recently. My Grandfather was a projectionist at this theater. He used to take us with and we would watch from the upstairs booth. It’s sad that it wasn’t kept up.

Sean Ryan
Sean Ryan on May 9, 2017 at 8:52 pm

A new effort… http://www.journalmpls.com/news/2017/03/a-second-act-for-the-hollywood/

japancomp234 on August 17, 2017 at 7:27 am

Awesome article with astounding idea!Thank you for such a significant article. I truly acknowledge for this extraordinary data.. dragon city hacksubway surfers hack

pokemon123456
pokemon123456 on August 21, 2017 at 3:02 pm

You finished a couple fine focuses there. I did a hunt on the subject and discovered about all persons will oblige with your site. Sinus Infection

japancomp234 on August 26, 2017 at 7:13 am

I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here.gap year

japancomp234 on August 27, 2017 at 12:59 am

I am upbeat to discover this post exceptionally helpful for me, as it contains part of data. I generally want to peruse the quality substance and this thing I found in you post. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing. guidance sports

japancomp234 on August 30, 2017 at 12:55 am

i truly like this article please keep it up. online instagram

japancomp234 on September 1, 2017 at 2:57 am

Much thanks to you such a great amount for sharing this incredible blog.Very motivating and supportive too.Hope you keep on sharing a greater amount of your ideas.I will love to peruse. buy driving licence online

japancomp234 on September 1, 2017 at 4:25 am

I am extremely cheerful to find your post as it will get to be on top in my accumulation of most loved websites to visit. marijuana online store

sirking79
sirking79 on September 1, 2017 at 7:13 am

Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting.100 questions

japancomp234 on September 5, 2017 at 1:53 am

Much obliged for setting aside an ideal opportunity to examine this, I feel firmly about it and love adapting more on this point. On the off chance that conceivable, as you pick up mastery, would you mind overhauling your website with more data? It is greatly useful for me. Kokosnusswasser kaufen

japancomp234 on September 6, 2017 at 4:41 am

I truly inspired after read this in view of some quality work and instructive considerations . I just wanna express profound gratitude for the essayist and want you to enjoy all that life has to offer for coming!. blutzuckersenken

japancomp234 on September 6, 2017 at 6:59 am

Much thanks to you such a great amount for sharing this incredible blog.Very motivating and accommodating too.Hope you keep on sharing a greater amount of your ideas.I will love to peruse. fernglas kaufen

japancomp234 on September 7, 2017 at 9:20 am

I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven’t had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!..artemisinin.rs

japancomp234 on September 11, 2017 at 12:41 am

I know your aptitude on this. I must say we ought to have an online examination on this. Composing just remarks will close the dialog straight away! What’s more, will confine the advantages from this data. Pregnancy Body Pillow Review

japancomp234 on September 12, 2017 at 7:01 am

Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share.designer iphone 7 cases

japancomp234 on September 13, 2017 at 2:02 am

This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here!voyance gratuite amour

japancomp234 on September 13, 2017 at 11:46 pm

I needed to thank you for this magnificent read!! I certainly cherished each and every piece of it. I have you bookmarked your site to look at the new stuff you post. transportadora de carro

japancomp234 on September 14, 2017 at 2:34 am

Awesome post, and incredible site. A debt of gratitude is in order for the data! SIMAD University

japancomp234 on September 18, 2017 at 2:22 am

i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to present something back and help others such as you helped me.Delsooh Socializing Victory

japancomp234 on September 18, 2017 at 8:29 am

Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.kent music bands

japancomp234 on September 19, 2017 at 6:46 am

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that “The content of your post is awesome” Great work. Data Recovery Company

pokemon123456
pokemon123456 on September 20, 2017 at 4:01 am

Apart from your name, address, and phone number, you will have to include the name of your child.cheap55printing.com/blog/cheap-business-card-art-business-card-printing/

japancomp234 on September 20, 2017 at 6:05 am

Great site, Distinguished criticism that I can handle. Im pushing ahead and may apply to my present place of employment as a pet sitter, which is exceptionally charming, yet I have to extra grow. Respects. Hotstar app Watch TV Shows

japancomp234 on September 22, 2017 at 7:42 am

I really enjoyed reading this post, big fan. Keep up the good work andplease tell me when can you publish more articles or where can I read more on the subject? Travel blog

japancomp234 on September 23, 2017 at 12:58 am

I’m happy to see the immense point of interest here!. free mp3

japancomp234 on September 23, 2017 at 4:17 am

Very good written article. It will be supportive to anyone who utilizes it, including me. Keep doing what you are doing – can’r wait to read more posts.satellitestreams.com

japancomp234 on September 24, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it. tutuapp windows

japancomp234 on September 25, 2017 at 5:21 am

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine.Bathtub Refinishing Portland

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment