Chicago Theatre Marquee Update

posted by Menutia on July 21, 2004 at 2:33 pm

CHICAGO, IL — Late last week, the new front signage for the famed Chicago Theatre was installed. As part of a total replacement of the theater’s marquee, these preview pics (below) show the exact replacement of the front signage.

What is not known yet, is the height of the side attraction portions of the marquee. Updates ASAP.

Michael

Theaters in this post

Comments (14)

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 21, 2004 at 3:36 pm

I can’t find any of the new pictures.

Patrick Crowley
Patrick Crowley on July 21, 2004 at 4:11 pm

They should be visible now, Mike. :)

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 21, 2004 at 7:32 pm

This really looks a lot like the old marquee if this is part of the new one. I loved the old marquee. I hate the fact that a lot of theaters are taking older marquees and replcing them with electronic rolling ones. YELK.

Broan
Broan on July 21, 2004 at 9:01 pm

Sides are the same styles as the ones that were previously on there. I would’ve liked to see them return to the original side style (with Chicago on top of each side), but oh well. I saw these being installed in person last night

Menutia
Menutia on July 22, 2004 at 2:10 am

Wonderful…

I will make sure to get pics when I am at work this weekend for the next update!

Brian, are they the full height sides, or the cut down version most recently on the side?

Michael

Broan
Broan on July 22, 2004 at 7:39 am

They looked like the cut down version. It was neat seeing the workers lifting it into place… if you look at my recent comments on the theatre’s page, you’ll see the original marquee had these shorter sides, but slightly different. I thought the full height sides looked rather out of proportion, which is presumably why they went back to the short sides in the first place

Broan
Broan on July 24, 2004 at 9:37 am

Actually, I think that original marquee might have formed the base for the neon signage. When the marquee was taken down, the canopy remained in place, and it looked an awful lot like that; I have some pictures of this. I think when the signage was added, it was simply attached to that. Now, this may have been the reason for the replacement in the first place; I would imagine that after 80 years, the cantilevered sign would necessitate the temporary support columns which were in place for the past several years. I wouldn’t be surprised if this proect came about because the underlying structure required repair or replacement. I think they made the right choice in recreating the marquee; it’s one of the classic examples of movie marquees, it’s a landmark in itself and a symbol of Chicago (and I think it’s protected), it is strongly identified with the theater, and has been for 90% of the time, during which nearly all the other palaces recieved stale, unappealing marquees, proving its timeless quality. I’m quite pleased with the way it has turned out; I can’t wait to see it lit at night again.

Bing00
Bing00 on January 23, 2010 at 6:09 am

Does anyone know what company did the recreation of the sign?

pokemon123456
pokemon123456 on August 25, 2017 at 10:55 pm

I truly welcome the sort of themes you post here. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing us an extraordinary data that is really useful. Great day! Sage Herb Health Benefits

japancomp234
japancomp234 on August 31, 2017 at 7:03 am

It was a decent post in reality. I altogether delighted in understanding it in my lunch time. Will without a doubt come and visit this blog all the more frequently. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing. how to get free gems in clash of clansboom beach hacks

sirking79
sirking79 on September 1, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. 100 questions

rajasekhar
rajasekhar on September 11, 2017 at 7:13 am

Thanks for the information. This blog really made my day. GM Diet Plan Menu

ramukiran
ramukiran on September 11, 2017 at 7:17 am

I really loved the website. It has really a great stuff. Hook up Apps | iMessage on Windows PC

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment