URGENT — Waikiki Theatre Demolition

posted by marcusexp on February 15, 2005 at 5:15 am

WAIKIKI, HI — Hot off the press, the Pacific Business News reports that Greg Swendelson, VP of Robertson Properties, has announced that the Waikiki Theatre will be demolished in the next few weeks. Replacing the historic Art Deco theatre will be a Footlocker.

Construction of the Footlocker is to begin in Spring 2005.

Marc Warner

Theaters in this post

Comments (6)

monika
monika on February 16, 2005 at 7:06 am

This is very sad. I recently came across a box off old vacation photos of a military family that I do not know and one of the pictures was taken in front of the Waikiki.
All that for a Footlocker?! Progress, be damned!

Patsy
Patsy on May 15, 2005 at 5:58 pm

Monika: My thoughts exactly! This was not my day….I had hoped to speak with a former theatre manager today and recall his memories, but was told by his wife that “it was only a job to him.” My reply? Have a nice summer.

Patsy
Patsy on May 15, 2005 at 5:59 pm

Does Waikiki have any existing old restored movie theatres?

marcusexp
marcusexp on May 16, 2005 at 8:30 am

Patsy,
Last time I was on the island of Oahu, the Varsity was still open.
It is also a vintage C. W. Dickey designed movie theatre. I know however that the University of Hawaii has expansion plans that included demolition of this little gem. (The Waikiki was C. W. Dickey’s theatre masterpiece; the Varsity is not as large.)
To the best of my knowledge, Waikiki does not have any existing
restored or unrestored old theatres. (The Waikiki 1 and 2 are closed and will be used for retail. They are next door to the recently demolished Waikiki Theatre.)

I think Waikiki Beach is part of the City of Honolulu. Some wise folks in Honolulu saved the beautiful Hawaii Theatre from demolition.
I don’t think it is set up for movies. I think it specializes in live performances. Check out its listing here on Cinema Treasures.
Thanks for remembering the great Waikiki Theatre!

chansara905
chansara905 on September 15, 2017 at 6:17 am

Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writingHorny

japancomp234
japancomp234 on September 20, 2017 at 11:54 pm

I was perusing your article and thought about whether you had considered making a digital book on this subject. You’re composing would offer it quick. You have a great deal of composing ability. hay day game8 ball pool cheat

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment