Paramount Center for the Arts Unveils Renovations
PEEKSKILL, NY — According to the Paramount Center for the Arts website:
“The Paramount Center for the Arts in Peekskill, NY is pleased to invite the public and members of the press to a special reception unveiling the second phase of the Paramount’s restoration project. The open house will take place Wednesday, February 9th, 2005 at 7:30 PM at the Paramount. Light refreshments will be served.
The renovation project involves the completion of the decorative painting of the theater walls, columns, and lobby by Evergreene Painting Studios, and the installation of exquisitely patterned wool carpeting throughout the entire theater, generously donated by Bloomsburg Carpet.
The reception will include a tour of the theatre and a brief presentation by Jeff Greene, President of Evergreene, whose impressive resume includes the restoration and preservation of over 100 historic theaters and capitol buildings in over 26 states. Other speakers and dignitaries include. Other Speakers and Dignataries include Peekskill Mayor John Testa, Westchester Arts Council Executive Director, Janet Langsam, the Paramount’s Board of Trustees President, Paul Rubin, Former Peekskill Mayor and Paramount Board Member, Fran Gibbs, and Paramount’s Executive Director, Jon Yanofsky.
The Paramount was built for Paramount Pictures in 1930 by the famed architectural firm of Rapp & Rapp. Brothers C.W and George Rapp built some of the most complex and exquisite theaters in the country, including the Times Square Paramount, the Loew’s Kings in Brooklyn and the Loew’s Jersey, which still stands today.
Paramount Pictures sold the building in 1958, and the Paramount Center for the Arts was established in 1982 as a nonprofit organization. In late 2003, the Paramount Center for the Arts launched a major capital improvement campaign to restore the theater to its original glory. At a cost of nearly $870,000, renovations include the installation of a new stage, lavish curtains, a redesigned concession area, and the repairing and restoration of the interior. Capital support was provided by the Indian Point Energy Center, The New York Power Authority, the Empire State Development Fund, New York State Senator Vincent Liebell, Assemblywoman Sandra Galef, and individual contributions."