How modern theaters show classic movies

posted by eyeballjohn on June 17, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Hi, I’m new to this forum, Great site with a ton of information, I know I’m not the first to have this idea and most likley there are people out there doing this but, what does it take to have a modern movie theater and show only classic or older movies? This has been a dream of mine for awhile now, I collect vintage movie posters and reels and other movie related stuff, could not find any info on this.

Thanks,
John

Comments (8)

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 17, 2008 at 4:00 pm

This is the site for those questions…..lots to read about ..

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on June 17, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Read everything on that site that LIM has linked to. Then, if you’re still inclined to get in to the business, be prepared to work long hours for little return. But, if you’re not looking to get rich, the work can be very rewarding. Regarding showing classics, just be aware that unless the film is in the public domain, you can’t show your own film prints – everything must be booked via the studios.

Vito
Vito on June 17, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I wouild like to add my good luck wishes. I think what you would like to do would be marvelous. As Peter wrote, expect litle in return, but the fact that you will have helped keep the classics on the big screen will be much appreciated by many.
Be sure to have two projectors in the booth to run reel-to-reel.
Not only is it the proper way to present tne films but you will have a much better chance of getting prints. Many of the folks suppling the prints will not allow you to run the classics on a platter.
Please keep us informed.

bayoob
bayoob on June 19, 2008 at 12:57 am

you want show/exibit old/classic movies in a single screen theater? Who is going to be there on a Tuesday night, in the winter? If you are in a warmer part of the country, how you gonna pay for the air conditioning, how you gonna pay for projection repairs if you need them? You gonna charge $1.50 to $2.00 to see these classics? Don’t forget the cost of gas to get to the theater-and maybe parking? Add these all up, then repeat after me-NETFLIX. Wish you luck, you will need it.

Been there, done that.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on July 10, 2008 at 6:05 am

We charge $9.oo for classics and $10.00 for classic films over 3 hours long…….No problem getting the ticket price ..

MPol
MPol on July 22, 2008 at 4:38 am

Hey longislandmovies? What classic films have you played at your classic movie theatre so far? Just curious.

drivinnow
drivinnow on October 3, 2008 at 9:26 am

The Tennessee theater here run’s a classic movie about once a month, like gone with the wind ,rebel without a cause, and such classic’s..if you like e-mail me and i’ll send you a link to there site

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment