Group formed to pursue restoration of La Grande’s Liberty Theatre
LA GRANDE, OR — Closed since 1959 and partially converted to retail use, the 1910 Liberty Theatre may make a comeback if engineering and environmental reports come back positive and the funds can be raised. The theater was also known as the Orpheum and the Arcade.
The upper reaches of the main auditorium, the balcony and projection room, are mostly intact. An ornate but tarnished old chandelier hangs from the ceiling near the balcony. It’s an emblem of the past that draws the eye.
Piles of drapery lay about, and some of the old carpet remains. In the projection room, there’s some equipment left over.
Down below, under a couple of layers of added flooring, can be found the orchestra pit, the stage, stage stairways and doors left and right, dressing rooms.
There is more here in the La Grande Observer.