New book on the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, published by Theatre Historical Society of America.

posted by ThrHistoricalSociety on January 4, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Medium

On September 7, 1929 the Loew’s Kings Theatre in Brooklyn opened its doors to the public for the first time. Less than 50 years later they were shut, seemingly for good. Designed by the Rapp & Rapp architecture firm in the French Baroque style, the Kings is not only an architecturally important piece of Brooklyn history, but from community standpoint as well. Many Brooklynites had their first date at the theater, or walked across the stage during their high school graduation. Now, after almost 40 years of darkness, the curtain is beginning to rise.

When it reopened in 2015, the Kings became the largest indoor theater in Brooklyn and the third largest in New York City. It is a place for the community to gather once again, hosting everything from Broadway shows to concerts. Take a trip through the history of the Kings via photographs and artifacts spanning the theater’s heyday through its renovation. Watch the theater return to its original splendor and learn for yourself why it’s called Brooklyn’s “Wonder Theater.”

This new book by Matt Lambros contains never before seen historic and modern photographs of the Kings, as well as a complete history of the theater. There are a limited supply available online at Amazon.

LINK TO PURCHASE THE BOOK: https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Theatre-Rebirth-Brooklyns-Wonder/dp/0692032002/

ABOUT THEATRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA: Founded by Ben Hall in 1969, the Theatre Historical Society of America (THS) celebrates, documents and promotes the architectural, cultural and social relevance of America’s historic theatres. Through its preservation of the collections in the American Theatre Architecture Archive, its signature publication Marquee™ and Conclave Theatre Tour, THS increases awareness, appreciation and scholarly study of America’s theatres.

Learn more about historic theatres in the THS American Theatre Architecture Archives and on our website at historictheatres.org

Large

Comments (8)

Orlando
Orlando on January 4, 2017 at 4:22 pm

A WWII pamphlet of Loews employees that I loaned to Matt Lambros is being used in this book without my permission! I gave it to him and he did not tell me he was using it in the book after he returned it to me some months later. I also believe other photographed items were used. I hope this isn’t so, if it is my lawyers will be in contact with Theatre Historical Society and Mr. Lambros.

Orlando Lopes

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on January 4, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Orlando – I asked you if I could use the pamphlet in the book when I borrowed it from you. You do not own the copyright to the pamphlet, and nothing else from you is in the book.

Matt Lambros

richardgreen
richardgreen on January 5, 2017 at 3:26 am

Just got a copy of the book, apparently Orlando was not credited for use of the pamphlet. For those who have the book, the item in question is on page 45.

Gamble
Gamble on January 5, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I encourage everybody to pick up this book. The images and information are incredible. Matt does such great work with theaters, which is why I purchased his book. If you haven’t already, pick up his other book. You won’t regret it.

JamesD
JamesD on January 5, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Got my copy today. What a fantastic record of the Kings Theatre. I love seeing the theater come back to life. Great job to everyone involved!

minecraftapkfree
minecraftapkfree on October 26, 2018 at 12:27 pm

You have been writing very well. its my first comment ever. I love the way you write.Thanks

shadow fight 2 all weapons hack download

annemanike
annemanike on September 4, 2019 at 11:33 am

There are lots of app market apps like Aptoide, mobile1, uptodown. My recommendation goes with AC Market. This app store is simple and easy to use. All apps and games are clearly categorized. If you what mod app or mod game then this is your final stop. There are no third party users who add apps like aptoide. So you have more trust on apps and games download AC Market Clean Master APK, one of the best optimization tools with space cleaner and antivirus for android devices, helps keep your phone clean and safe from virus. Clean Master also free up space and RAM to improve your phone’s performance. Enjoy your speedy phone now! Filelinked was formerly known as DroidAdmin. It is a file sharing app, which also doubles as an excellent side-loading tool for FireStick and other Android devices. FileLinked can be used to share all sorts of files including videos, photos, music, APK files and more. You can be the file uploader, file user or even both. Download Filelinked

https://www.acmarket-app.com/ https://www.filelinkedapk.com/ https://www.droidadmindownload.com/ https://www.ru10android.com/

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment