New book on the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, published by Theatre Historical Society of America.

posted by ThrHistoricalSociety on January 4, 2017 at 6:30 am

Medium

On September 7, 1929 the Loew’s Kings Theatre in Brooklyn opened its doors to the public for the first time. Less than 50 years later they were shut, seemingly for good. Designed by the Rapp & Rapp architecture firm in the French Baroque style, the Kings is not only an architecturally important piece of Brooklyn history, but from community standpoint as well. Many Brooklynites had their first date at the theater, or walked across the stage during their high school graduation. Now, after almost 40 years of darkness, the curtain is beginning to rise.

When it reopened in 2015, the Kings became the largest indoor theater in Brooklyn and the third largest in New York City. It is a place for the community to gather once again, hosting everything from Broadway shows to concerts. Take a trip through the history of the Kings via photographs and artifacts spanning the theater’s heyday through its renovation. Watch the theater return to its original splendor and learn for yourself why it’s called Brooklyn’s “Wonder Theater.”

This new book by Matt Lambros contains never before seen historic and modern photographs of the Kings, as well as a complete history of the theater. There are a limited supply available online at Amazon.

LINK TO PURCHASE THE BOOK: https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Theatre-Rebirth-Brooklyns-Wonder/dp/0692032002/

ABOUT THEATRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA: Founded by Ben Hall in 1969, the Theatre Historical Society of America (THS) celebrates, documents and promotes the architectural, cultural and social relevance of America’s historic theatres. Through its preservation of the collections in the American Theatre Architecture Archive, its signature publication Marquee™ and Conclave Theatre Tour, THS increases awareness, appreciation and scholarly study of America’s theatres.

Learn more about historic theatres in the THS American Theatre Architecture Archives and on our website at historictheatres.org

Large

Comments (20)

Orlando
Orlando on January 4, 2017 at 8:22 am

A WWII pamphlet of Loews employees that I loaned to Matt Lambros is being used in this book without my permission! I gave it to him and he did not tell me he was using it in the book after he returned it to me some months later. I also believe other photographed items were used. I hope this isn’t so, if it is my lawyers will be in contact with Theatre Historical Society and Mr. Lambros.

Orlando Lopes

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on January 4, 2017 at 8:46 am

Orlando – I asked you if I could use the pamphlet in the book when I borrowed it from you. You do not own the copyright to the pamphlet, and nothing else from you is in the book.

Matt Lambros

richardgreen
richardgreen on January 4, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Just got a copy of the book, apparently Orlando was not credited for use of the pamphlet. For those who have the book, the item in question is on page 45.

Gamble
Gamble on January 5, 2017 at 10:50 am

I encourage everybody to pick up this book. The images and information are incredible. Matt does such great work with theaters, which is why I purchased his book. If you haven’t already, pick up his other book. You won’t regret it.

JamesD
JamesD on January 5, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Got my copy today. What a fantastic record of the Kings Theatre. I love seeing the theater come back to life. Great job to everyone involved!

maodzedun
maodzedun on July 6, 2017 at 3:32 am

For a long time to think of buying a book or not, your article has inclined me to an answer yes, thank you very much restaurants near me

WadeZack
WadeZack on August 19, 2017 at 12:09 am

You don’t possess the copyright to the flyer, and nothing else from you is in the book. Matt does such awesome work with theaters, which is the reason I obtained his book. On the off chance that you haven’t as of Online Homework now, get his other book. Got my duplicate today. What an incredible record of the Kings Theater. I cherish seeing the performance center return to life.

MorganFowler
MorganFowler on September 4, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Everybody has their own favorites, of course. Most regularly, whilst the votes are available in (there’s all kinds of SK polls out there) it comes right down to The Stand and IT. Custom dissertation writing services UK

Ejedfsloo
Ejedfsloo on September 15, 2017 at 7:20 am

This article is such a nice and interesting one, I’m very satisfied with the provided contents. I hope more excellent articles would be posted in your website. Thank you so much for this and keep sharing. 192.168.1.254

panistefanin
panistefanin on October 17, 2017 at 4:20 am

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you raised it experian phone number

BlackMenSEO
BlackMenSEO on October 21, 2017 at 3:52 am

Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.seo

BlackMenSEO
BlackMenSEO on October 28, 2017 at 4:20 am

This is an extraordinary post. I like this topic.This site has loads of advantagevoyance telephone

ronaldthomas
ronaldthomas on November 1, 2017 at 12:35 am

To see live theater performances, whether it is drama or musical. There are a variety of performances at any given time in New York City like the Lion King, Mormon, and Motown: shiny and real gravel dissertation writing help, anyway possible time they reshape it is still based on novels or book.

BlackMenSEO
BlackMenSEO on November 1, 2017 at 4:16 am

I discovered numerous fascinating things from this site. It helps me in numerous ways.Thanks for posting this once more. chiropody bridgend

BlackMenSEO
BlackMenSEO on November 8, 2017 at 2:24 am

Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it’s nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists.sex doll

lowetimmyj
lowetimmyj on November 22, 2017 at 4:28 am

Science Channel’s are giving a complete knowledge to its viewers help with java homework about every thing students write done dissertation on this subjects and show its importance.

onehow
onehow on November 24, 2017 at 7:25 am

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you 5546. rrss.ir | 44. vakilmodafe24 .ir

ElizaJabeen
ElizaJabeen on November 28, 2017 at 2:41 am

For quite a while to consider purchasing a book or not, your article has slanted me to an answer yes, much thanks. Dissertation Help UK

BlackMenSEO
BlackMenSEO on December 14, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.Madden NFL 18

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment