New book on the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, published by Theatre Historical Society of America.

posted by ThrHistoricalSociety on January 4, 2017 at 6:30 am

Medium

On September 7, 1929 the Loew’s Kings Theatre in Brooklyn opened its doors to the public for the first time. Less than 50 years later they were shut, seemingly for good. Designed by the Rapp & Rapp architecture firm in the French Baroque style, the Kings is not only an architecturally important piece of Brooklyn history, but from community standpoint as well. Many Brooklynites had their first date at the theater, or walked across the stage during their high school graduation. Now, after almost 40 years of darkness, the curtain is beginning to rise.

When it reopened in 2015, the Kings became the largest indoor theater in Brooklyn and the third largest in New York City. It is a place for the community to gather once again, hosting everything from Broadway shows to concerts. Take a trip through the history of the Kings via photographs and artifacts spanning the theater’s heyday through its renovation. Watch the theater return to its original splendor and learn for yourself why it’s called Brooklyn’s “Wonder Theater.”

This new book by Matt Lambros contains never before seen historic and modern photographs of the Kings, as well as a complete history of the theater. There are a limited supply available online at Amazon.

LINK TO PURCHASE THE BOOK: https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Theatre-Rebirth-Brooklyns-Wonder/dp/0692032002/

ABOUT THEATRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA: Founded by Ben Hall in 1969, the Theatre Historical Society of America (THS) celebrates, documents and promotes the architectural, cultural and social relevance of America’s historic theatres. Through its preservation of the collections in the American Theatre Architecture Archive, its signature publication Marquee™ and Conclave Theatre Tour, THS increases awareness, appreciation and scholarly study of America’s theatres.

Learn more about historic theatres in the THS American Theatre Architecture Archives and on our website at historictheatres.org

Large

Comments (38)

Orlando
Orlando on January 4, 2017 at 8:22 am

A WWII pamphlet of Loews employees that I loaned to Matt Lambros is being used in this book without my permission! I gave it to him and he did not tell me he was using it in the book after he returned it to me some months later. I also believe other photographed items were used. I hope this isn’t so, if it is my lawyers will be in contact with Theatre Historical Society and Mr. Lambros.

Orlando Lopes

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on January 4, 2017 at 8:46 am

Orlando – I asked you if I could use the pamphlet in the book when I borrowed it from you. You do not own the copyright to the pamphlet, and nothing else from you is in the book.

Matt Lambros

richardgreen
richardgreen on January 4, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Just got a copy of the book, apparently Orlando was not credited for use of the pamphlet. For those who have the book, the item in question is on page 45.

Gamble
Gamble on January 5, 2017 at 10:50 am

I encourage everybody to pick up this book. The images and information are incredible. Matt does such great work with theaters, which is why I purchased his book. If you haven’t already, pick up his other book. You won’t regret it.

JamesD
JamesD on January 5, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Got my copy today. What a fantastic record of the Kings Theatre. I love seeing the theater come back to life. Great job to everyone involved!

maodzedun
maodzedun on July 6, 2017 at 3:32 am

For a long time to think of buying a book or not, your article has inclined me to an answer yes, thank you very much restaurants near me

WadeZack
WadeZack on August 19, 2017 at 12:09 am

You don’t possess the copyright to the flyer, and nothing else from you is in the book. Matt does such awesome work with theaters, which is the reason I obtained his book. On the off chance that you haven’t as of Online Homework now, get his other book. Got my duplicate today. What an incredible record of the Kings Theater. I cherish seeing the performance center return to life.

MorganFowler
MorganFowler on September 4, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Everybody has their own favorites, of course. Most regularly, whilst the votes are available in (there’s all kinds of SK polls out there) it comes right down to The Stand and IT. Custom dissertation writing services UK

Ejedfsloo
Ejedfsloo on September 15, 2017 at 7:20 am

This article is such a nice and interesting one, I’m very satisfied with the provided contents. I hope more excellent articles would be posted in your website. Thank you so much for this and keep sharing. 192.168.1.254

panistefanin
panistefanin on October 17, 2017 at 4:20 am

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you raised it experian phone number

ronaldthomas
ronaldthomas on November 1, 2017 at 12:35 am

To see live theater performances, whether it is drama or musical. There are a variety of performances at any given time in New York City like the Lion King, Mormon, and Motown: shiny and real gravel dissertation writing help, anyway possible time they reshape it is still based on novels or book.

lowetimmyj
lowetimmyj on November 22, 2017 at 4:28 am

Science Channel’s are giving a complete knowledge to its viewers help with java homework about every thing students write done dissertation on this subjects and show its importance.

ElizaJabeen
ElizaJabeen on November 28, 2017 at 2:41 am

For quite a while to consider purchasing a book or not, your article has slanted me to an answer yes, much thanks. Dissertation Help UK

royJfischer
royJfischer on January 4, 2018 at 11:17 pm

Science Channel’s are giving an entire learning to its watchers help with Dissertations Editing about everything understudies compose done paper regarding this matters and demonstrate its significance.

elizajhon
elizajhon on January 10, 2018 at 3:19 am

I must admit that your post is really interesting. I have spent a lot of my spare time reading your content. Thank you a lot! youtube to mp3 downloader

elizajhon
elizajhon on January 10, 2018 at 3:19 am

Great survey. I’m sure you’re getting a great response. facebook video downloader for android

rishun12gupta
rishun12gupta on January 27, 2018 at 8:52 am

This year on the Valentine’s Day wish your partner with most heart touching wishes on Valentine’s Day

rishun12gupta
rishun12gupta on January 29, 2018 at 10:28 am

rishun12gupta
rishun12gupta on January 29, 2018 at 9:06 pm

open the mobdro download on your Android smartphone.

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 3, 2018 at 1:23 am

A debt of gratitude is in order for this article exceptionally supportive. much obliged. buy global traffic

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 3, 2018 at 1:24 am

I havent any word to value this post…..Really i am inspired from this post….the individual who make this post it was an extraordinary human..thanks for imparted this to us. this page

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 3, 2018 at 1:24 am

Affection to peruse it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. mens sleeping eye mask

JohnGetra
JohnGetra on February 5, 2018 at 5:18 am

This book is avesome ! italia promreport I love this kind of writings product club webseite

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 6, 2018 at 1:27 am

You have a decent point here!I thoroughly concur with what you have said!!Thanks for sharing your views…hope more individuals will read this article!!! dentists in elmhurst il

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 6, 2018 at 1:27 am

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 6, 2018 at 11:11 pm

Much thanks for the sharing! COOL.. about his

rishun12gupta
rishun12gupta on February 7, 2018 at 6:54 am

Happy rose Day Quotes For on special time of Valentines day 2018 Along with that valentines day wishes is also one of the most Important thing on valentine’s day. So Here I listed some valentines day wishes. Check out Happy Valentines Day Messages For Friends, Colleagues.

roxfuste
roxfuste on February 12, 2018 at 4:45 am

What do you think about suomin.eu ?

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm

Good write-up, I¡¦m normal visitor of one¡¦s blog, maintain up the nice operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time.post card printing

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 14, 2018 at 11:01 pm

Thank you for your very good information and feedback from you. san jose car dealersNewLaunch.ForSale Executive Condo

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 17, 2018 at 2:48 am

Outstanding post, I conceive people should larn a lot from this web site its really user genial .content

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 17, 2018 at 2:49 am

You’ll notice several contrasting points from New york Weight reduction eating plan and every one one may be useful. The first point will probably be authentic relinquishing on this excessive. lose weightfree movies

rishun12gupta
rishun12gupta on February 20, 2018 at 9:11 am

The Horizon Zero Dawn is basically an action based game where you will be asked to fight against the monsters and bandits.

canewiliamsan
canewiliamsan on February 20, 2018 at 9:15 pm

I loved the way you discuss the topic great work thanks for the share Your informative post. HBR case solutions Thanx for sharing such useful post keep it up :)

canewiliamsan
canewiliamsan on February 20, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very beneficial. assigment help online I’m really impressed with your article, such great & usefull knowledge you mentioned here

AsharSeo
AsharSeo on February 23, 2018 at 10:11 pm

What is the best computer virus remover?. My computer is slow as hell and freezes on me. Most of the time, I have to restart my computer. I think I may have a virus on my computer. What is the best software to remove the viruses of my computer?.7m

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment