Showing 451 - 475 of 542 comments
Their web page has moved to http://www.pct.edu/commarts/
Their history page has a lot of info:
The theatre was built as the Capitol in 1928, and reopened after restoration in 1993 as the Community Arts Center. It was the largest theater in the area and the first to be equipped for sound movies. It was considered the most beautiful theater in the Comerford, amnd featured cast bronze chandeliers, and a proscenium with trompe l'oeil details. It originally featured stage shows with movies. In 1936 the main level and stage area were flooded, wrecking the organ.
It never really recovered from the flood damage, and limped along until it’s restoration from 1989-1993. Cost was $13,500,000 with the bulk of that coming from Penn College. By 2004, there had been over 500 performances and 1,500 movie screenings, with 911,000 patrons through the doors by Oct. 2006 (774K for live, 128K for movies)
Unfortunately their web page does not show any pictures except a night view of the front facade. The seating plan shows orchestra, loge and balcony but it is hard to tell if the “loge” is a separate level from the “balcony”
The AFY yearbook for 1936 shows the Manor as having 1,146 seats. They must have done quote a remodeling job when they multiplexed it.
AFY yearbook for 1936 lists the seating capacity as 1,636.
AFY Yearbook lists this as 2,858 in 1936. Numbers above should be changed. The other Allegheny theatre did not go by that name in 1936.
According to the 1936 AFY Yearbook, the Aldine seated 1,416.
The entry at Cinematour.com indicates the the theatre is open – even lists a phone number. No info on what it’s current use is.
This is strange. The American Film Review list for 1036 shows a Strand theatre in Erie PA with 1,600 seats. Could that be an earlier building replaced by this one (mentioned above as being built in 1947).
The 1936 AFY shows a Columbia theatre with 1,200 seats listed as closed at that time.
Status of this theatre should be changed to Demolished.
Here’s a direct link to the detailed article about the Variety page mentioned above:
Among other things (a great article) it was built in 1927, at the same time as the Park, with 1900 seats (AFR 1936 says 1,931 seats) with 1,500 in orchestra and 400 in the balcony. The auditorium is turned 90 degrees from the street, angled to the right. At present it is in basically good shape, considering how long it has been closed and the roof and building are structurally sound.
From their seating chart at the official web page it seats 170.
From the Google Maps photo of this address, it looks as if the theater has been demolished.
According to the AFR of 1936, the Rosedale seated 1,285 and was located at Rosedale & Westchester Avenues.
Craig Morrison’s “Theaters” book has a great street view of Hammerstein’s Olympia from Broadway. Quite an elaborate (and large) building!
Opened November 25, 1895, J. B. McElfatrick & Sons architects.
This was a somewhat different concept in entertainment — one ticket would provide access to the entire building which included a 3,815 sesat Music Hall, a 1,850 seat Theater (later called the criterion), a smaller concert hall, a refreshment area and a block-long glassed-in roof garden. Also planned were a rathskeller, an oriental cafe, a billiard parlor, a bowling alley and a turkish bath, but those were never built. Hammerstein was overly-ambitious in his plans and was bankrupt within a year, losing the Olympia to his creditors. But both he and the Olympia prospered for a number of years afterwards.
I do wonder at those seating figures stated above, given how much smaller the venues were when they were converted later (see above)
Craig Morrison’s “Theatres” Book (A Library of Congress Sourcebook), captions the photo at the top of this page as Hammerstein’s Venetian Terrace (Victoria Roof Garden). Opened June 26, 1899, 1,000 seats, architect J. B. McElfatrick & Sons. The photograph dated from 1901.
Hammerstein, after having lost his Olympia (1514-1526 Broadway), built the Victoria at the southern end of Times Square at 1451-1481 Broadway. The Victoria Roof Garden/Venetian was described as being ornamental and delibertately ramshackle in appearance, and was quite popular for a number of years, patrons being able to catch cool breezes from the hearby Hudson River in this semi-enclosed venue. Immediately behind the Roof Garden was Hammerstein’s Paradise Garden, atop Hammerstein’s adjoining Republic Theatre. It also accommodated 1,000 patrons and was designed by J. B. McElfatrick & Sons. This was an open garden featuring a minterature farm, one of whose denizens was a lasvicious monkey that would list women’s skirts. The photo from the book also shows a tudor-style farmhouse, and an old-style windmill next to the promenade with tables and chairs.
The Strand seated 1,725.
The Jefferson seated 1,300.
Architects: McElfatrick, J. B. & Sons
At one time known as B. F. Keith’s. Opened in 1906.
According to the American Film Review of 1936 the Paramount seated 1,995. It opened in 1930.
Strand was built in 1925. At one time was known as the Criterion. (Ref: THS’s Marquee, 1980, v. 1)
According to THS’s Marquee issue of 1980 (v. 1), the Virginia was built in 1915.
According to Craig Morrison’s book “Theaters”, this was originally built in 1913, Magaziner & Potter architects. Originally the New Nixon Theatre. 2,227 seats, but (according to Marquee, 1980, v. 1), reduced to 1,400 upon conversion to movies in 1926. Had burlesque in 30’s.
According to THS’s Marquee of first quarter 1980,. the Bijou was demolished in 1924.
According to THS’s Marquee edition of 1980, the Capitol opened in 1919.