Showing 51 - 75 of 104 comments
July 4, 1920 Washington Post lists a building permit issued to Moore’s Orpheum Theater 403 Ninth Street to remodel, cost $300.00
The enclosed photos place the Criterion at the SW corner of 9th & D Streets NW. A 1949 aerial photo shows D st going from 9th to 10th street.. 1979 and newer photos show the J. Edgar Hoover Building closed the street.
9th street is the N/S center of the map/photo, Pennsylvania Av in the diagonal.
The theatre had an even numbere address thus would have been on the West side of 9th Street.. the Taylor shop in the background of one photo has an odd address on D street, North Side. The address of 318 places the theatre between C st and D street
Link to picture..
Link to Story..
Another article with picture..
The Honolulu Advertiser Tuesday, April 29th, 2008
From Pacific Business News (Honolulu) Friday, April 4, 2008
Kailua will lose its last movie theater at the end of the month when the Keolu Center Cinemas close down.
Hollywood Theaters made the decision last year that it would close the four-screen theater at the Keolu Shopping Center when the lease expired on April 30.
It will be the company’s third theater in Kailua to close. Portland, Ore.-based Hollywood Theaters closed the three-screen Enchanted Lake Cinemas in the Enchanted Lake Shopping Center in 2003, and the
two-screen Kailua Theatres on Hahani Street two years later.
Article of Saturday, April 5, 2008 mentioning theatres of Old Kailua Town..
Washington Post of January 7,1940 the Palm is listed as a Bernheimer’s Theatre.
Yellow Pages Summer/Fall 1942 lists the Palm at 2402 Mt Vernon Ave Phone AL-0767
Yellow Pages March 1948 lists the Palm at 2402 Mt Vernon Ave Phone OV-3560
Washington Post of November 21, 1950 lists the Guild Theatre at 2402 Mt Vernon Ave. Phone OV-3560
Washington Post of January 7, 1940 and March 29, 1940 list the Lido.
The June 23, 1941 Washington Post has no listing for the Lido.
Was located on the South West corner of M st NW and Thomas Jefferson St NW
Washington Post of January 7, 1940 lists the Central as a Warner Brothers Theatre. 425 9th st.. Phone ME-2841.. On April 15,1955 The Central is listed as a Stanley Warner Theatre. Phone is now ME-8-2841
Pictures of The Palace on LOC site..
Link to LOC pictures
Kailua Drive In was located on Kaapa Quarry Road at Kalanianaole Highway in Kailua Hawaii.
The entrance was a long up hill drive way that paralleled Kaapa Quarry Road . The site is now occupied by the Le Jardine Academy (green roofed buildings in aerial) http://www.lejardinacademy.com/ from the aerial photo below it appears that the same drive is used.
Google maps: View link
1942 Yellow Pages lists the Capitol Theatre at 1101 Queen Street, ALex 9361
The Cerberus occupied an old building that had been a multi level, city Automobile (Ford)dealership earlier. The three theatres were served by a common projection room, each theatre had twin Century projectors with Strong Xenon lamps (Magnarc type housings) and auto changovers. The projection room was a level above the theatres and used a series of front surface mirrors as periscopes to project the picture. “Hi Fi” stereo, MacIntosh Amps were installed to show “Woodstock” in 4ch Magnetic sound.
Washington Post of 4-15-1955 has a listing for the “Carver-Alexandria” Theatre, Alexandria Virginia. TE-6-6902.
October 19, 1950 Washington Post has a display ad for The Pix, 13th & H (building fronts 13th St NW, New York Ave & H St NW)
Sept 2, 1953 Washington Post has a display ad for “Roth’s Little” 9th Street between F & G.. Showing “The Assassin” An Adventure in Suspense with Richard Todd & Eva Bartok.
Was in the Crosstown in 1969 to see the local(Projectionist Union) Business Agent, they were running Oliver in 70mm. Was told that Elvis had rented the theatre for a midnight show for himelf and some friends. Rumor was that he was a big tipper (staff loved him)
1948 Times-Herald lists.. OPEN AIR E.M. Lowe’s Open Air Drive In 3 miles south of Alexandria on Route 1 tel- Alex-7050. Adults $0.50 Children Free..
1974 Yellow Pages list the Drive-In at 5500 Leesburg Pike.. 1962 Yellow Pages list 1325 Leesburg Pike while 1961 lists 5175 Leesburg Pike all Baily’s Cross Roads. Fairfax County renumbered addresses in 1961/1962 to line up on a new county wide address grid, 5500 in the new address of the site.
The Drive In was replaced by a Hechinger’s lunger yard.