Showing 51 - 75 of 754 comments
Searching the business district (Broadway & Main), there are no structures that resemble a former cinema.
Laverne is hometown to the lovely 1967 Miss America, Jane Ann Jayroe.
To view vintage exterior/interior photos of the Yale Theatre, go to below link and type in
“Yale Theatre Sapulpa”,
From google maps, street view, comes this image of the former Yale Theatre, 7 S. Main St., Sapulpa, OK
From google maps comes this image of the State Theatre, 118 E. Dewey, Sapulpa, OK
From google maps, street view, comes this photo of the former State Theatre.
Address for the State Theatre is 118 E. Dewey.
Address for the Yale Theatre is 7 S. Main, St.
Today Massingale Furniture Store occupies this former cinema.
Google maps addresses seem to always be a little off mark, but the location for the Yale Theater would be (aprox 189 East Sixth Street. The auditorium and Fifth Street entrance were razed in 1964, but the Sixth Street lobby still remains.
Following information comes courtesy of roadsideoklahoma link;
“Ritz Theater began life as the Gem Theater and was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Greever. The Gem featured a stage in front of the screen and featured interesting acts such as man vs. kangaroo boxing matches, a veteran of the Great War that had been gassed by the Germans, and entertainment legends such as Gene Autry and Smily Burnett. The theater featured both piano and organ music and delighted children with Lassie, Hopalong Cassidy, and Roy Rogers. On a more comical note, the Ritz was known for its very poor bathroom facility. Between serials, patrons would dash out of the theater to the nearby Sinclair gas station for relief. The Ritz was also kept exceptionally dark to help the brightness of the picture on the screen. The Ritz closed in the 1950s.”
Following information comes courtesy of roadesideoklahome link;
“The Okla Theater cycled through two names, Criterion and Queen, before becoming the Grand Theater. The Grand Theater was sold in the 1940s to Volney Hamm and reopened under the name of Okla. The Okla Theater operated for approximately ten years before it was sold to Video Independent. Video Independent closed and dismantled the theater. A Montgomery Ward operated on the location for some time."
From google maps comes this recent shot of the above mentioned intersection …
Address for the Inca Theatre would be approx 112 W. Seventh St. The arched top Spanish style building is still standing near the middle of the block.
Here is an image of the Kress Department Store that was built on the old Hip foundation …
Searcing google maps street views, there are only a few building remaining on Main St. in Dill City, and any one of them could have housed a small cinema.
Erick was hometown to Roger Miller of country music fame.
According to this link the Rex II is a twin cinema,
Muskogee had two Roxy Theatres, the one listed here (420 seats), and another (1300 seats) located on Okmulgee St. Both were downtown cinemas.
… And here is a 1945 photo with a good view of the former Empire Theatre, converted into the Playhouse Arcade.
In this 1929 shot, the arched entrance to the former Empire Theater can be seen right of the Criterion Theatre.
In this 1929 photo, the former Olympia Theatre can be seen left of the Criterion Theatre. At that time is was being used as the Dainty Lunch Counter, with the slogan “All our cooks are mothers”.
Jerry Lewis Cinemas and The Movies were two separate franchise systems. Since this cinema originally opened as The Movies 1 & 2, it surely would have been part of that franchise chain based in Oklahoma City.
Courtesy of ken mc, here is a 1921 newpaper ad for the Palace Theatre -
As late as 1947 the Home State Theatre featured an organist during intermissions.
Courtesy of ken mc, here is a 1921 newspaper ad for the Yale Theatre –