Showing 151 - 175 of 2,318 comments
The name of this theater was the Clermont, not Claremont. The Alley is set to close in coming months. https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151201/lakeview/alley-closing-after-39-years-after-being-slaughtered-by-construction
I don’t think the Playhouse is open.
This is a Chicago Daily News photograph via Library of Congress
Posted a photo. The Vitagraph was a very plain theater, at least on the outside.
This page features ornament from the Julian.
This advertisement for asbestos ceiling treatments shows the Buckingham’s rather plain interior.
This article features a very early photo and description of the Julian, as well as descriptions of the other theaters in the immediate neighborhood in 1911, most of which do not have entries on Cinema Treasures.
https://books.google.com/books?id=52lYAAAAYAAJ&dq=theater%20kohl%20rapp&pg=RA9-PA41#v=onepage&q=rapp&f=false 1913 article indicates Rapp & Rapp were architects for a theater at Sheridan/Dakin.
George L. Rapp may have helped design the Empress. http://archive.org/stream/movingpicturewor16movi#page/66/mode/2up
Looks like this would have been one of the earliest Rapp & Rapp theaters with a cantilevered balcony.
Possibly converted by Rapp & Rapp. https://books.google.com/books?id=uGxJAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA890&dq=G.l.+rapp+theater&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CBsQ6AEwADgKahUKEwisiKGLqt7IAhUCQSYKHeh8BTE#v=onepage&q=G.l.%20rapp%20theater&f=false
Credited to Rapp & Rapp. https://books.google.com/books?id=-yNJAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA24-PA17&dq=G.l.+rapp+theater&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDoQ6AEwBmoVChMIgOSv7qfeyAIVwigmCh0I1gUD#v=onepage&q=G.l.%20rapp%20theater&f=false
Rapp & Rapp may have worked on this theater. https://books.google.com/books?id=d1ZOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA860&dq=theater+kohl+rapp&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDMQ6AEwBGoVChMIl6Kj9aXeyAIVxmImCh3APwyf#v=onepage&q=theater%20kohl%20rapp&f=false
Opened November 20, 1915
Here is a nice article and photos of the Chelten
Here is a nice article with pictures on the Villard
The silver balls are now missing.
Compare to the photo at http://www.fineartsbuilding.com/theaters.html. The proscenium must have been moved out and widened at some point.
Name should be changed to Studebaker, status to Open
First opened as the Crown in April 1917. Remodeled as Palace in 1926.
Other articles describe the technical achievements of the Covent Garden. The balcony was noted as requiring no sight-obstructing pillars, making it one of the earlier cantilevered balconies. The capacity was 2,684, making it one of the earliest huge theaters outside the Loop. The stage was designed to hydraulically “split and raise like a jack-knife bridge revealing a broad and deep pool for the water acts. The mechanics of this arrangement, said to be more complete than that of the New York Hippodrome, was the cause of the delayed opening.” The screen drop was painted to imitate a gigantic lady’s handkerchief.
“The stage is of proportions adequate for circus performances, winter carnivals and the largest of grand opera and musical comedy spectacles. A huge water stage, patterned on the lines of the one installed at the New York Hippodrome, is included in the stage equipment for spectacular water effects. A Wurlitzer Hope-Jones orchestral organ, installed at a cost of nearly $75,000, and said to be the largest of its kind in the world with more than 2000 pipes and attachments, will be used exclusively for the interpretation of scores for the musical plays as well as for solo purposes.”
However, the programming was a bust and within two months, after experimenting with combined revues and vaudeville, it was leased to Lubliner & Trinz, becoming the largest film theater in the city despite its tiny, high-perched projection booth.
Here is another. Gives architect as Horatio Wilson, who also designed the Harper Theater.