Loew's State Theatre

1540 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I can’t believe I forgot seeing “The Spy Who Loved Me,” one of my two favorite Bonds at this theater. I must be getting old. Also remembered seeing “The Odessa File” with Jon Voight and “Castle Keep” with Burt Lancaster at this great theater.

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the people who list the films that played at this theater. Just reading them brings a great sense of nostalgia to me.
The first time I experienced the Loews State theater, I did not go in it. My family and I were walking down Broadway and Brando in Mutiny on the Bounty was playing there on reserved-seat. I remember looking in and wishing I were going to see it there. The block before we passed Lawrence of Arabia at the Criterion and a few blocks later The Longest Day at the Warner. All three nominated for Best Picture. Boy those were the days.
The first time I went to the Loews State was in 1966, 2 friends and I bought reserved seat tickets to see “The Bible.” 2 of us were scheduled to meet my other friend near the token seller at the Pennsylvaina Avenue station of the number 2 train in Brooklyn. When my habitually tardy friend still hadn’t shown up and we realized that we might be late for the film’s 2PM start, the two of us grabbed a piece of paper and pencil and scribbled him a note. We stuck it on a nail sticking out of the station wall never imagining he would actually see it. With a couple minutes to go before the film began, he came running in to the theater. He actually saw the note. We were amazed. This was more interesting than the film itself.
Over the years I saw many more films there: MacKenna’s Gold in 1969, Beneath the Planet of the Apes and Kellys Heroes in 1970 and The Omega Man in ‘71. In 1972, my mother and father decided to take my brother, sister and myself to Manhattan to see The G-dfather at the Loews State. The line stetched around the block. When we did get in this enormous theater was so crowded that we could not sit together and had to sit in different locations around the theater. (I also saw G-dfather II at the Loews State.)
The last time I was there was in 1979 to see Star Trek-The Motion Picture. It was the second week and I knew the film wasn’t doing all that well because at least half the theater was empty. I thought the film was okay but my wife and our friend did not like it at all.
The Loew’s State may be gone but the memories remain.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 24, 2009 at 7:31 pm

This was the 2nd Ben Hur the first one was a silent film, also shown at many Loews Theatres.

Vito
Vito on November 19, 2009 at 5:14 am

The world Premiere of Ben Hur 50 years ago this week

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on November 4, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Good site New York New York.

William
William on August 20, 2009 at 7:28 am

If you blow-up the picture, you can see the marquee of the Embassy Theatre when it was known as the Newsreel.

Vito
Vito on August 20, 2009 at 7:02 am

Thanks Bill, I have been spending a lot of time in Hawaii, where I spent so many years. It was sad to see all of the theatres I worked at and loved in Hawaii are all gone.

1937 huh, well I was a bit too young to have gone to the State back then.Pictures like that show what we missed.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 20, 2009 at 6:23 am

Hi Vito! Good to see you’re back on the site.

“Artists and Models” was a 1937 release:

Vito
Vito on August 20, 2009 at 4:33 am

I do not know the year perhaps some else does, Warren?
On stage Vaudevile and Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra
On screen Jack Benny “Artists and Models”

William
William on August 3, 2009 at 1:13 pm

There is the first word in the above post.

William
William on August 3, 2009 at 1:13 pm

The is some form of a sign above the marquee for a movie. But Darryl F. Zanuck would be proud that “Wilson” signs was plastered everywhere. “Kismet” was playing over at the Astor Theatre. The picture would be late Aug. or Sept 1944.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 3, 2009 at 11:32 am

What’s unusual is that I can hardly see the State — but the Victoria /theaters/2945/ across the street (playing “Wilson”) is pretty clear.

raybradley
raybradley on August 1, 2009 at 8:34 am

From LIFE (1944), an unusaul view of Loew’s State can be seen here -

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 28, 2009 at 7:45 pm

It’s still a great shot, though. Thanks, Ken.

It was only Jack’s second film. For his fourth film, “Mister Roberts”, he won an Oscar.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2009 at 7:36 pm

That’s probably right. I saw the movie but it was years ago at some repertory place in Philly.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2009 at 7:29 pm

“It Couldn’t Happen to a Nicer Guy”, I think. That’s from memory, so I might be a little off.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2009 at 7:22 pm

He was still relatively unknown, as I recall. I think his first film was in 1952, so perhaps he didn’t merit star billing.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 28, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Strange how Jack Lemmon did not get his name up in lights for the movie “Phffft”. I thought he and Judy Holliday were the stars of that film.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Here is a December 1954 photo from Life magazine:

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 28, 2009 at 6:23 am

Lost, I hope you had a good night’s sleep, because guess what — link stinks. Again.

jomalley
jomalley on July 28, 2009 at 5:31 am

I cut school and saw a British import titled Venom with Klaus Kinski and Oliver Reed in 1982 in the upper theater. I was the only one there in what still remained a very large, opulent, and cavernous space!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 27, 2009 at 11:00 am

Yes, photo posted on 7/26/09 is the one entitled “House from Stage.”

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 27, 2009 at 10:10 am

I saw it last night and it’s a beauty. Full auditorium view taken from the front/stage area.

edblank
edblank on July 27, 2009 at 10:00 am

Not sure if it’s just me, but I haven’t been able to open that file last night or throughout this morning, Yorkville. Would really like to see the photo.

MisterShmi