Comments from 42ndStreetMemories

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Loew's Sheridan Theatre on Jun 13, 2014 at 7:15 am

Got it. Was pleasantly surprised when I visited MOMA in NYC earlier this year and came across a Hopper painting of the Sheridan interior. Great theater back in the day.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Loew's Sheridan Theatre on Jun 12, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Neither link appears to be working

42ndStreetMemories commented about Lyric Theatre on Mar 8, 2014 at 2:41 am

Thanks, saps. I know its not the same but brought a smile to face. Been there many times including I’ll Take Sweden.

42ndStreetMemories commented about Beach Theatre on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:52 am

The Beach just announced its closed for business. Sad. They tried to make a run of it.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about RKO 23rd Street Theatre on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

Oldtimer, I grew up around the corner from the old RKO, my dad was an usher there in the 40s. It truly was beautiful. I remember The Chelsea from the outside but don’t remember going inside. We also went to The Terrace on 23rd Street. When did you attend the old RKO?

The ad shown here should really be under the newer RKO 23rd Street that opened in the 60s.

42ndStreetMemories commented about Liberty Theatre on Jan 17, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I just posted two photos of the Liberty’s new interior. My daughter and son-in-law attended a Christmas party there last month. Being an old regular of The Deuce, I was thrilled that my daughter got to experience the Liberty albeit a somewhat altered version.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Happy Holidays from Cinema Treasures on Dec 24, 2011 at 5:52 am

Thanks guys for another super year. Keep the memories alive!

42ndStreetMemories commented about Alamo Theatre on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:25 am

While driving through on vacation, we stopped at the Alamo and Executive Director David Weiss and his wonderful staff spent quite a bit of their time giving us a tour of the theater and the Northeast Historic Films archives. Please try to support their dedication and passion if you can. Jerry

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about American Airlines Theatre on May 10, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up. That slip of the Selwyn would be 1956. I found it nostalgic because around this time the WB catalogue was being re-released and I saw quite a few on 42nd Street.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Times Square Theatre on May 10, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Las Vegas show? Hey, they’re going to have to take down the old “ALWAYS TWO ACTION HITS” sign.

42ndStreetMemories commented about Lyric Theatre on May 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Great picture, Soren. As were the other Times Square photos on his website. I’m already trying to figure out what was playing at the Lyric. Looked like Dean Martin in a still.

42ndStreetMemories commented about AMC Empire 25 on May 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Interesting article on the current AMC with some history of the Empire (and beyond).

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Happy Thanksgiving!!! on Nov 26, 2010 at 3:56 am

Happy Holiday, CT gang

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about RKO 23rd Street Theatre on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I am doing some research on the theater from the Grand Opera House days to the RKO 23rd St. If you’d like to share some information or memories please post or email me. Thanks. Jerry

42ndStreetMemories commented about Terrace Theater on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm

ad for the Terrace Theater Christmas 1955

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about RKO 23rd Street Theatre on Jun 18, 2010 at 8:46 am

Joe:
A belated thank you. Great pix. Funny how I remembered the color of the carpeting. The place meant a lot to us. Jerry

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on Jun 18, 2010 at 8:14 am

A matron trained by the Gestapo wielding an industrial strength flashlight. And don’t forget the smoking section was two sections to the left.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on Jun 17, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Children 90c – what a bargain. Except for the years of therapy afterwards

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about New Amsterdam Theatre on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:10 am

Jeff there’s always interiors shot at the Lyric.

Check out:

42ndStreetMemories commented about L.A. visit advice on May 14, 2010 at 3:17 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Any great filming locations within an hour or so drive. Wanted to visit Lone Pine but its a tad far. Jerry

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Final Season for 'At the Movies' on Mar 31, 2010 at 5:04 am

I agree with jwr, after suffering through the two Bens -a lame attempt at drawing a younger audience – the show as back at the top of its game with two intellectual and humorous co-hosts. My wife and I hope that they somehow continue – maybe create their own venture on the web.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Projectionists needed for documentary on 42nd St Cinemas of the 70s/80s on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:45 am

Hopefully you’ll show some of my Deuce from the 50s-60s – at least for comparison sake.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:10 am

There is currently a photo on eBay of a 1971 concert at the Demille. Sid Bernstein presents Melanie. I don’t remember concerts there. Does anyone recall other shows?

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories commented about New Victory Theatre on Feb 10, 2010 at 1:53 pm

That shot is a great example of how the 42nd Street theaters had fun programming their double feature revivals….Kings Go Forth & Kings of the Sun. They frequently booked Man With The Gun & Man Without A Star.

42ndStreetMemories commented about Happy New Year! on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:55 am

Ross, Patrick, Ken, and Michael

Thanks for the fun, the education and the memories.

Jerry Kovar