340 Main Street,
21 people favorited this theater
The Beach Theatre was opened Thanksgiving 1945, with 662 seats. It was taken over by Fox West Coast Theatres in June 1946 and was renamed Bay Theatre from June 17, 1946. It was purchased by Richard Loderhose in 1975.
After removing some of the seats, he installed a 1928-built Wurlitzer organ that he had purchased in the early-1960’s from New York City’s Paramount Theatre. It is called “the largest Wurlitzer pipe organ in any operating theatre in the world today”.
The theatre shows independent, foreign, classic and silent films with organ accompaniment. Seal Beach, with a population of 25,100, is mentioned in an unauthorized biography of Steven Spielberg as being his favorite place to see foreign movies while he was enrolled at nearby Cal State Long Beach in the mid-1960’s.
The theatre is well maintained, with excellent projection and the vintage seating is very comfortable. The Bay Theatre was closed ‘temporary’ on August 2, 2012.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater