Comments from celboy

celboy commented about AMC Empire 25 on Jun 24, 2015 at 6:24 am

Any update on the laser install. Is it done? are they advertising it?

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jun 1, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Hi xbs2034, Do you know anymore about “somewhat different”? I guess we’ll have to wait & see. —I don’t see the camera being “better”—more like maybe Imax being the only one to buy alexa 65 cameras and using them for their Imax clients. —I think Imax considers “Imax aspect ratio” to be 1.9—the chip size—not the 1.4 15/70. I think they can work outside dci specs and choose the full chip for display and coin it “Imax aspect ratio”. To me , its like Super 35 projection with extra headroom top & bottom—nothing significantly better. —but more a composition change. Lets see if David Fincher does an Imax release? —To my knowledge, the aspect ratio in the lasers are nothing new. Its still 1.9. TI DLP chips are that. The laser doesn’t change the rez—just the light source. Please correct me if I am wrong. —This again leads back to my earlier post above about classic aspect ratios being totally dead (very unfortunate) and its 1.9 and smaller.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on May 28, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Robert, that link refers to an update on the original Alexa camera that is widely used today. They (arri) are pushing anamorphic capture. But no projector makers are pushing anamorphic projection..—– probably due to DCI. Thats what makes me wonder if 4x3 digital projection will ever happen. Arri appears to be treating alexa 65 as its own thing…you can’t buy …only rent. Pixel-wise the camera is 6560x3102.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on May 27, 2015 at 4:33 pm

The new Alexa 65 camera has an aspect ratio of 2.1 to 1. I don’t think sensors /chips are going to get 4x3, rectanglar aspect ratio of 2 to 1 seems to be the primary display future.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 25, 2015 at 6:48 pm

rumor/innuendo??? neither, as I stated…. just my opinion from looking at the fandango calendar.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:39 pm

right now there seems to be a gap in fandango advance tix. So maybe april 16th to the end of the month they’ll do the laser install and then screen avengers 2. This is just my guess/opinion… . I don’t see them doing it during summer.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 5, 2015 at 8:38 am

There are a lot of variables for Star Wars. I just figure they have more time before release date. I don’t think they will employ a “Nolan film workflow”. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of imax shot—-its not like Batman. I think Imax will push High Brightness 3D & Rez so to compete with competitor Dolby Vision.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 5, 2015 at 8:03 am

I guess they would need a couple weeks in april to do this.Probably more lasers required than any other previous screen install due to screen size. That & a busy summer schedule…..I wonder exactly when. I am hoping Star Wars has it.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Dec 17, 2014 at 2:49 pm

The Hobbit Marathon was entirely HFR. They showed the new Mad Max trailer before the 3rd movie.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 30, 2014 at 12:38 pm

So you are saying you believe this was projected on imax film?…Everything was 2.39 until the falcon shot……$$$$ teaser…I figured there was no more space on the platter due to Interstellar’s length. But I guess now 88 secs of enough space.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 14, 2014 at 8:21 am

OK the tuesday shows of hobbit 3 are listed as HFR but the marathon on monday is listed as 3d only..I sure hope its HFR for all 3…can there server hold all 3 movies at her?

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 14, 2014 at 7:20 am

I’m sorry—I got them on movie tickets.com but fandango lists it as HFR.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 14, 2014 at 7:18 am

So I just got fandango tix for the hobbit marathon on the 15th & it was labeled Imax HFR…Could that be a typo? I’m not sure my back can handle those seats for 3 long films.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm

So Seattle and who else will have it next month?

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 5, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I found interstellar a little too loud. or the choice of mix too much music. Some dialogue hard to understand.And many images very dark. Unlike dark knight where you had footage that you could appreciate the detail—helicopter gotham shots—here not so much. The aspect ratio changes bothered me more here. I sort of wonder now why not shoot the whole movie imax. I am curious to see it digital without the aspect changes.—just my opinion after first screening.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Oct 1, 2014 at 5:31 pm

thanks for letting me know because fandango’s fan alert didn’t. Boy those good seats went fast.I will go wednesday.

Why is it seem that the first week or 2’s screen times aren’t that convenient for getting out of work & getting to the theater & then they come around to screenings around 7pm or 8pm?

Its been this way with this imax even before they did reserved seating.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Aug 3, 2014 at 2:35 pm

RelexedNYC: What features do you recall being full width there? I wonder if they were imax film DMR’s. I think the lenses attached to the dlp’s can’t do full width on that screen. PS-I found the 3d of Hobbit Teaser so much better than the “average/typical 3d” of Guardians ….which was still a really good movie.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Jun 13, 2014 at 1:52 pm

For Interstellar…. but not for Hobbit 3?

celboy commented about AMC Loews 84th Street 6 on May 23, 2014 at 6:10 am

I went last night for the first time to this theater. Wow!

So worth the extra subway stops.

Do all screens here have the same seats?

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on May 4, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Can someone please confirm for me—-Is the Dolby Atmos system installed in the Loews theater?

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 24, 2013 at 7:01 am

According to the film’s editor— “It was really interesting to go from cutting this almost 4×3 image to have to basically lop the top and the bottom off. They never shot at common-center for the Imax, knowing that I would go back in later and fix it.” – See more at: http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/11/editor-alan-edward-bell-on-the-hunger-games-catching-fire/#sthash.kndyAFAZ.dpuf

So I guess I will try & see it on imax film.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I thought thats what I saw when I walked up the aisle stairs. Thanks for the investigating. I remember watching the imax countdown trailer and was curious why it wasn’t full screen width.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Oct 3, 2013 at 11:52 am

$21.50 plus a $2.00 fandango fee if you can’t get to the theatre.

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Oct 3, 2013 at 8:57 am

15/70mm is also referred to as imax 70mm tall and 15 sprocket holes long traditional 70mm widescreen is only 5 sprocket holes creating a 2.2 aspect ratio

celboy
celboy commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Sep 18, 2013 at 8:59 am

I do hope they get “Gravity-Imax” here.