Comments from Mikeoaklandpark

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,108 comments

Mikeoaklandpark commented about Prince Theater on Jul 17, 2017 at 12:23 pm

I wish they would put a real marquee back

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jul 9, 2017 at 9:03 am

markP you remember the Steele Pier?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jul 8, 2017 at 10:41 am

Walter K I had no clue about the high diving horse issue. From what I remember and probably you and Cindelphila remember those horses were treated great. These animal right activists need to get a damn life. They were the cause of the Ringling Bros circus folding. UGH

Mikeoaklandpark commented about Sunshine Cinema on Jul 8, 2017 at 10:37 am

So I can’t tell by the articles is this over where the Sutton used to stand?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:42 pm

I would think that bringing in big name entertainment might work. I am not sure if any of the hotels have big name shows like Vegas they didn’t when they first opened, but I bet the one thing they do bring back is the high diving horse.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Jul 4, 2017 at 8:31 am

Why would City Cinemas want to redevelop this property if it’s profitable.

Mikeoaklandpark commented about Anco Theatre on Jul 3, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Doesn’t the AMC Empire 25 sit in it’s place now?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about THS Exclusive Preview: Going Attractions (6/28/17) on Jun 29, 2017 at 1:05 pm

It was great. I can’t wait for the above one to come out

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about THS Exclusive Preview: Going Attractions (6/28/17) on Jun 28, 2017 at 6:12 pm

The one on Amazon is on Drive In theate4r5s it was great

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about No new signage as of 6/18/17 on Jun 28, 2017 at 11:36 am

Does the sign work at all?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Jun 28, 2017 at 11:36 am

I agree Howard. Regal here also did away with using masking in the smaller theaters where the masking would be vertical. The large theaters that are wall to wall screens still use the horizontal masking. Epic Theaters a smaller chain was using masking a few years back even though the day I saw My Fair Lady they used the masking for the scope previews but not for MFL that was in 2.20. The RPX screen here at Regal annoys the hell out of me. I have seen two films in it Sully and Beauty And The Beast And both were presented in 2.35 ratio on the RPX screen I did hear Wonder Women was shown on the full RPX screemn

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about THS Exclusive Preview: Going Attractions (6/28/17) on Jun 26, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Wow I knew nothing about this documentary. I just put it in my Amazon que

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Jun 26, 2017 at 11:38 am

Bigjoe 59 it’s been rumored for at least 10 years. Not sure if it is just rumors or legit. The eastside has lost all their theaters except this one and the beekman Twin

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 21, 2017 at 11:05 am

Actually David all of Atlantic City was. Overview info has been updated. Thanks CT.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 19, 2017 at 12:16 pm

I agree Walter K.I find it exciting that they want to rebuild it to the glory days of the past.

CT, Please update the overview to show it is now an amusement park.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 19, 2017 at 8:06 am

Here is a copy of the article Walter K referenced.

The World-Famous

Steel Pier

Steel Pier featured many entertainment attractions, such as The Diving Bell, The Water Circus, The Marine Ballroom, Movie Theatres, The General Motors Exhibit, Midway Games, Tony Grant’s Stars of Tomorrow and the famous Diving Horse.

The Steel Pier has a long and colorful history. It was once considered the greatest entertainment venue in the United States. First opened to the public in 1898, Steel Pier originally debuted as a theater, but expanded to include attractions, rides, and corporate exhibits.

Steel Pier featured every great entertainer of their day from Frank Sinatra to Al Jolson to The Beatles. Steel Pier truly was the “Showplace of the Nation.”Steel Pier and The Diving Horse were featured in a Disney movie titled, Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken. This was the story of Sonia Carver and her life as a rider on the Famous Diving Horses.

The Steel Pier has been rebuilt many times over its history, including once by Mayor Bader, whose name has been made famous by the recent HBO Series, Boardwalk Empire. Steel Pier featured many colorful showmen owners, such as Frank Gravatt, George Hamid and Donald Trump.

Trump’s plans for Atlantic City and Steel Pier were never realized. During Trump’s ownership, the Steel Pier was leased to the Catanoso family, who continued the entertainment tradition operating under tumultuous ownership conditions for almost twenty years. In August 2011, the Catanoso family and a group of investors purchased the Steel Pier, its buildings, and the bridge connecting the boardwalk to the Taj Mahal. The Catanoso group has embarked on a multi-year plan to restore the Pier to its former glory and make it once again, “The Showplace of the Nation.”

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 18, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Walter K thank you. What awesome news. That was a major part of my childhood in the 60’s

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 18, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Photo added from segment of CBS Sunday morning showing that the Pier currently as an amusement park. The bio above says it’s the Taj Mahal. Which is correct?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 18, 2017 at 12:57 pm

And now a page from our “Sunday Morning” Almanac: June 18th, 1898, 119 years ago today — the day Atlantic City, N.J., opened its famous Steel Pier, with Annie Oakley in person as the headliner.

Great segment on CBS Sunday morning today about the Pier

Loaded with amusements and attractions, the Steel Pier was the centerpiece of the jam-packed beach scene that Thomas Edison captured on film in 1901. The pier featured diving horses, bears on bicycles, and tiny cars that spun in midair, and acrobats galore. The pier hosted some of the very early Miss America pageants as well.

It also was the stage for some of the biggest entertainers of the day. The Three Stooges ogled a bathing beauty in this 1938 color short of dubious political correctness. In 1958, Ricky Nelson performed for a Steel Pier record crowd of 44,000-plus.

Eventually, however, changing times and vacation habits caught up with Atlantic City’s Steel Pier; it closed in 1978.

And then, in 1982, came WORSE: The main building of the Steel Pier was destroyed in a suspicious fire that raged for more than six hours.

There were no serious injuries, but a fire official said that the Steel Pier’s career was ended.

Not quite, as it turns out.

The Steel Pier has been rebuilt with new rides and amusements — an echo of the original pier’s claim to be “The Showplace of the Nation.”

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about Steel Pier Theatre & Steel Pier Ocean Theatre on Jun 10, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I only saw one movie there as a twin and it was in the smaller theater and the projection was terrible.

Mikeoaklandpark commented about Astor Theatre on Jun 10, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I didn’t know it was run by Walter Reade theaters. I assumed it was run by Guild theaters

Mikeoaklandpark commented about Astor Theatre on Jun 9, 2017 at 9:45 am

The very first time I went to NYC which was 1974 the Astor was a flea market. I thin the last film to play there was The French Connection. The screen was still intact at that time

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about 34th Street East Theatre on Jun 3, 2017 at 9:55 am

Per December 12 , 2015 post the synopsis should be updated to demolished.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Jun 2, 2017 at 10:22 am

The first time I went there the theater had masking. It was the late 70’s. I saw a foreign film called Cat and Mouse. When I went back to see Prince Of The City it had just the typical single strip for masking that Rugoff theaters used.

Mikeoaklandpark commented about AMC Marple 10 on Jun 2, 2017 at 10:17 am