Comments from paullewis

paullewis commented about Brooklyn Paramount Theatre on Apr 13, 2015 at 2:40 pm

The above article about the Paramount says the restored theatre will have a seating capacity of 1500! This is surely a mistake, how can you reduce the seating from 4.000 to 1.500 without a major alteration to the auditorium?

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Feb 14, 2015 at 3:45 am

Apologies for going somewhat “off topic” as this is a site for the “Capitol” not RCMH !!

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Feb 14, 2015 at 3:44 am

It would be great if RCMH still had the odd movie shows as I’m certain they would pull in the crowds if they advertised the fact of being able to see a film in a way that has disappeared now. In spite of improvements in seating comfort and sound (and that’s debatable) there is a generation out there who has simply no idea of what it was like going to the movies before the demise of the “palaces” and I’ll bet there would be some real (pleasant) surprises from the younger generation!

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Feb 13, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I take your point about location but that makes the loss of the Roxy in particular even more bizarre when you see the puny nondescript building that replaced the “Cathedral of the Motion Picture” If that was torn down tomorrow no one would even notice or even remember what was there, it’s that forgettable!

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Feb 13, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Yes it’s unfortunate for us that owners back then lacked the foresight to consider other uses as we have seen with the remaining palaces. Or maybe it was just simply the “quick buck” mentality. I still find it hard to believe that a city the size of New York could not have a viable large auditorium theatre for movies when you consider the additional amount of visitors every year. Of course the majority could not survive but a special case should have been made for the Roxy at least and also the Capitol though of course it was nothing like it’s original appearance by the time it closed.

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Feb 13, 2015 at 8:50 am

Whether it was 1967 or 1968 is, I’m afraid, irrelevant now. The sad fact is that it’s gone at it’s like will never be seen again though the recent reopening of the Brooklyn Kings (though not for movies) is a cause for great celebration as it could have so easily gone the same way. IMO naming a multiplex box after this greatest of “palaces” is almost like an insult. It should NEVER have been demolished in the first place.

paullewis commented about Kings Theatre on Dec 18, 2014 at 1:10 pm

This is like a dream come true – I lament being denied seeing any of the great NYC Movie Palaces before they were scandalously ripped down but now the wonderful Loews Kings has risen again like a phoenix and I’m determined to make another trip to N.Y. just to see that beauty restored. Just hope this will be a huge success and give impetus to the much needed revival of the Chicago Uptown one of the greatest ever built and miraculously still standing though in desperate need of major restoration.

paullewis commented about Rivoli Theatre on Apr 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm

“Replaced by a black skyscraper” This would also apply to the Roxy and Capitol, three of the finest and most famous movie palaces ever built, denied to future generations through sheer greed of developers and a city administration blind to it’s unique heritage.

paullewis commented about Uptown Theater on Mar 9, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Like Justin Whitfield I wish I had a substantial amount of money to donate towards the restoration of what has to be one of the top 5 or 6 Movie Palaces of all time. In Australia they have managed to save the Melbourne Regent (auditorium although not as large, based on the much lamented Capitol/New York, my all time favourite) The Sydney State with one of the finest lobbies anywhere and of course the wonderful Capitol in Sydney. The loss of the Brisbane Regent was a disgrace, arguably the finest overall in the country.

paullewis
paullewis commented about Lobby of the Capitol Theatre, New York in 1924 on Dec 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

Looking again at this vintage photo of the main lobby confirms my opinion that the Capitol was the finest of all the great movie palaces. No kitsch here, just the best of taste. An outrage that this beauty was not preserved for future generations to marvel at.

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Oct 27, 2012 at 6:51 am

Well said Tinseltoes there are some great photos of the magnificent auditorium before it was “covered” that would be much more appropriate. After all, the new look only lasted for a few years anyway!

paullewis commented about Rivoli Theatre on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

To think that the Rivoli was still in operation when I first went to NYC in 1971 makes me sad that I didn’t go there, at least I would have seen one of the legendary showcases before they were all destroyed! I know nothing stays the same in this world but I sometimes get very nostalgic for the great days of going to the movies, I’m just old enough to remember how great it was compared to today’s banality.

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for the info.guys. Obviously I was wrong about the Capitol and it figures HTWWW would play there as it was an MGM film, though I think Loew’s and Metro were completly separate corporations by then.

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I remember “How the West was Won” in Cinerama (3 strip) played at the Plaza Theatre, Sydney, Australia for about 2 years, a record run. Which theatre played it in NYC? I’m guessing it was probably the Strand/Warner, I don’t think the Capitol ever had the 3 strip Cinerama process.

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Oct 24, 2012 at 5:08 am

Of course you are right bigjoe59, when it comes to economics, the Roxy was probably losing money for years before it finally closed. What would have been needed was for it to be adapted for other uses such as happened with the Metropolitan in Boston (now Wang centre) which is also a huge theatre or the Fox in St. Louis/Detroit. Of course this is the case with Radio City Music Hall so whether NYC could accomodate another huge space like that is open to question. Of course this is all hypothetical now as it’s gone and to quote the late Bob Hope “Once it’s gone it’s gone!”

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm

For me, the great movie palaces were New York, the Capitol and Roxy being the finest. The city lost it’s soul when these wonderful places of mass entertainment were demolished and it’s never been the same since. No other city on earth could boast so many of the best, yet only the Beacon and Hollywood remain in Manhattan.

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Great photo of the most beautiful movie palace of them all. The Capitol was Thomas Lamb’s finest achievement, in my opinion better than the San Francisco Fox as wonderful as that was.

paullewis
paullewis commented about New Book about Samuel 'Roxy' Rothafel - "American Showman" 30% Discount on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I have to admit to a life long obsession with the legendary New York Roxy ever since,, as a young man I bought a copy of “The best remaining seats” by Ben M. Hall, which was a celebration of the famous theatre just after its unforgivable destruction. I never saw the Roxy and it remains to this day one of my greatest regrets. I’m sure this will be an interesting book.

paullewis commented about Roxy Theatre on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

“The city and the movie palaces have never been the same” quotation from the above description of the Roxy says it all! N.Y.C. had a unique position in the pantheon of world cities and they could not wait to destroy it’s character for just another bland version of glass and steel boxes seen in and 2nd rate place on earth. Just look what is on the site of the legendary movie palace now, a building that could just as well be in a third world country and could disappear overnight without a single word of complaint,such is the banality of what we have today. As long as I live I shall NEVER forgive the perpetrators of such vandalism no matter what the circumstances.

paullewis commented about Stoll Theatre on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:03 pm

The Stoll was London’s greatest theatre loss especially considering it was unique in being housed in such an outstanding building worthy of protection status even without the theatre inside! London never possessed any really great movie theatres on a par with say the N.Y. Roxy or Capitol but this was it’s finest live theatre.

paullewis commented about Roxy Theatre on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Just been looking (again) at the photos of the incredible Roxy, makes me so very ANGRY that my and future generations were denied the chance to experience the greatest movie theatre ever built. I would like to personally lynch those responsible but they are probably gone now (to eternal hell, hopefully). New York City lost it’s soul when the great theatres were torn down and it will never be the same again, I’m so depressed that this was allowed to happen.

paullewis commented about Uptown Theater on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm

The restoration of the Rialto is to be applauded but in no way does that “palace” compare to the Uptown, not just in size but in quality of design. Even more important reason to restore the greatest surviving example,(probably) in the world.

paullewis commented about Capitol Theatre on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm

So that’s what replaced the wonderful Capitol – a glass box of the kind to be found in any 2n rate city on earth! The Capitol, on the other hand, was unique to only the greatest cities, like New York used to be.

paullewis commented about Fox Theater on May 26, 2009 at 9:53 am

I agree with Chuck 1231, keep ‘em coming Lost Memory, your contributions are much appreciated!!

paullewis commented about Uptown Theater on Apr 11, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I find it very distressing that the future of the Uptown still remains in doubt despite the wonderful efforts of the “friends” to keep it in the public eye.
Having looked extensively in many publications relating to the great movie palaces of the past (I have a first edition of “Best Remaining Seats” plus many other later books) I have concluded that not only is the Uptown the finest survivor in the world of this genre but was without doubt one of the top 3 or 4 movie palaces ever built. To my mind only the New York Roxy and Capitol were better and some would argue the Fox San Francisco, although for me it was a bit too over the top.
Because of its unique status today its demise would rank with the demolition of Penn Station New York in 1963 as one of the greatest acts of public vandalism in American history.