Comments from richardg

richardg commented about H & S Theatre on Sep 21, 2010 at 11:30 pm

It was built in 1926, and today’s admission price is just $4.00. It was closed when I passed through town so can’t add any interesting interior descriptions. Judging from lobby posters it looks as if its a strictly P.G. house. Too bad, the towns folk will miss most of the better films.

richardg commented about Needles Theatre on Sep 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm

The Needles Theatre housed a Masonic Temple in the front upper portion of the building while the theatre occupied the lower portion. Since the temple portion didn’t use the full length of the building, the theatre occupied the full height in a large portion of the building. I was informed many years ago the screen was moved forward (perhaps do to the installation of a new and larger screen?)
so that many seating rows and the original stage are actually behind the screen. Sadly, I was informed that nothing much is going at the Needles and that it is again for sale. A fire many years ago forced its closure and it never re-opened

b

richardg commented about Texas Theater on Sep 13, 2010 at 1:02 am

The Texas is now open only Friday through Sunday. Admission is $5.00 and real butter tops the popcorn. The Sunday night I attended
there were about 20 moviegoers. The Texas does not have a balcony.

richardg commented about Coleman Theatre on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:49 am

My timing was exact enough to enable me to have a guided tour of the Coleman Theatre. The newly cushioned seats (covered in the original fabric) are about 2 inches wider than the originals. Additional leg room was also created between rows so today the
main floor seats just over 600. The balcony seating is not yet complete and I forgot to ask about the estimated seating capacity.
This is one of nicest restoration of a theatre in the thousand seat range that I’ve seen. The citizens of Miami should be both praised and applauded for the effort and expense they’ve endured. This is one theatre to definitely see so add it to your bucket list today.

richardg commented about Route 66 Movie Theatre on Sep 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

The Route 66 theatre marquee doesn’t have the a normal milk glass background. Since it was daylight when I saw the theatre, I wasn’t able to determine if the background is opaque or not. The marquee does list the current movies with normal lettering but whether this is visible at night is questionable.

richardg commented about Marvel Theatre on Sep 7, 2010 at 11:39 pm

The Marvel Theatre is alive and well. The $6.00 admission including popcorn and a drink is hard to beat.

richardg commented about Ada Theatre on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm

The Ada is, I believe, for sale. The listing is through Century 21,
sorry, I didn’t jot down the number.

richardg commented about Palace Theatre on Apr 7, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I returned to the Palace on April 3, 2010 and saw the movie, Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief. I can only add, “This is how movies should be shown” I bought a good size drink and popcorn for a grand total of $3.00. The lobby of the Harding Hotel (now a Senior’s home and directly across the street from the thatre) is also a must see.

richardg commented about Kenton Theatre on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I believe the Kenton and the Ada are both for sale. I’m not sure about the Hi-Road Drive-in. I believe the listing broker is Century 21 —sorry I didn’t write the number down but it should be easy enough to obtain

richardg commented about Hollywood Theatre on Oct 23, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Yes, I’m also interested in knowing if anyone has expressed interest in the theatre. Does anyone know if whether the lessor or the lessee
owns all the equipment and furnishings.

richardg commented about Spotlight Theater on May 14, 2008 at 7:58 pm

It was Frank’s passion for the Warsaw Cinema that kept its doors open. Even Frank’s passion couldn’t keep the Warsaw’s doors open very often. Frank’s age, health problems, dwindling crowds, forced the Warsaw into becoming weekend theatre. Memory tells me there were only 3 screenings per week: Fri eve., Sat eve, and Sun. mat. When I first met Frank, close to fifteen years ago, he had been diagnosed with some medical issues so we discussed his possible sale of the theatre. We also exchanged stories about theatres and our passion for them.
I’m looking forward to attending The Warsaw when it re-opens.

richardg commented about Vogue Theatre on Apr 16, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Sorry for my delay —wasn’t notified someone replied to my comment.
You can forward your email address to Please allow a few weeks before I email you the picture. Please subject your email as Chateau picture.

richardg commented about Chatham Capitol Theatre on Apr 9, 2008 at 7:56 pm

The Capitol theatre has just received a seven million dollar grant and and expects the balance of work to be completed in about a year. I attended their open house a few weeks ago and was very impressed with everything that was done so far. They’ve done very costly things like adding a balcony, an elevator, and even a hydraulic orchestra pit. Unfortunately, it sound like the new Capitol venue will be strictly one for performing arts — too bad, it’d be a grand place to see a movie.

richardg commented about Vogue Theatre on Mar 15, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Many thanks for sharing your neighborhood memories. I can email you an old photo of the Chateau if you’d like. If you’re interested, please indicate on this site and I’ll post my email address so you can forward yours

richardg commented about Grand Theatre on Jan 21, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Sorry Patsy, I have no photos of the Grand.

richardg commented about Hollywood Theatre on Jan 20, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Darren, a Stooge fest can be a profitable venture depending upon several factors of course. The Riviera theatre in North Tonawanda draws close to 1000 people for their annual Stooge Fest. Perhaps it might be something the theatre might want to do for it’s own benefit and do something different for the Dormont Pool.
Looking forward to my next trip to Pittsburgh and the Hollywood theatre.

richardg commented about Vogue Theatre on Jan 13, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Wow, I’d forgotten all about the Marigold Arena. Unfortunately, the Vogue (Chateau) was one of the few morth side Chicago theatres I was never in. Thanks for all your detail about the neighborhood—the diner and underground passage sounded really cool. Do you remember much about the interior of the Vogue? If you do, I hope you’ll post your memories.

richardg commented about Paradise Theatre on Sep 7, 2007 at 8:37 pm

I don’t know the number but it’s or at least was on the marquee so it might be worth a trip there. I’ll probably pass by within a month or two and post the number on this site. You’d definitely stand a much better chance of success with the Kingsway but the rent would have to be lowered considerably before anyone besides the owner would make money.

richardg commented about Danforth Music Hall Theatre on Jun 18, 2007 at 7:04 pm

Yes, they’ve done a fairly decent improvement job. Concert promoters now seem more willing to rent the facilities. I saw Lindsay Buckingham there a couple of months ago. Supposedly the event was sold out.

richardg commented about Revue Cinema on Jun 15, 2007 at 7:08 pm

Glad to here the news — I miss all the Festival theatres. I’d be interested in hearing from others in the Toronto area who might be interested forming a consortium to lease and reopen the Kingway or Paradise. Email me at

richardg commented about Rex Theatre on Apr 11, 2007 at 5:23 pm

I just visited the Rex on Easter weekend and saw the “World Premiere” of a locally done full length film titled, “You’re In Trouble” which was paired with a previously released short titled, “Corporate Blues”. I’ll just say they’re both okay since this isn’t a movie revue site. Most everything listed here is pretty accurate according to my source who now operates the Rex. The screen used now is about one third the size of the original screen since movies are rarely shown. Today, the Rex’s primary purpose is a “Premiere Rock Venue Facility” All permanent seating has been removed so when seating is required, banquet style chairs are placed. It’s butt tough to sit on for over 2 hours but the semi “theatre” experience was still worthwile. Sipping a beer and watching a movie was strange but throughly enjoyable. Despite its present shortcomings as a true movie theatre, I’d go again.
The Rex closed in 1959 and never returned as a movie theatre until the the nineties. The “art fare venue” lasted until the mid nineties with one short closure and reopening. During the time frame between 1959 and the nineties the Rex hosted a barber school as well as a wholesale (very appropiately) popcorn facility. The Rex sat vacant from the mid 90’s until 2001, when it reopend with a premiere Rock & Roll showcase venue.
Although, today what appears to be the Rex’s balcony, it was vastly different in its movie showing days. The balcony today is much larger and has a new curved staircase. Originally, the balcony was only on the left side (as you face the screen) of the projection booth. It contained only 6 seats. Does that qualify for entry into the Guiness book? You also need a VIP pass to gain entry to the balcony.

richardg commented about Hollywood Theatre on Apr 11, 2007 at 4:30 pm

I had the pleasure of attending the Hollywood just this past Easter. While sitting in the balcony, watching Dreamgirls and eating my inexpensive popcorn, I thought how lucking you Dormont natives are. I travelled seven hours to have this experience. Wow, what a different theatre from when I saw the closed Hollywood at the tax auction. I hope the locals support it.

richardg commented about Joylan Theatre on Mar 3, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Today, March 3, 2007, I revisited the Joylan and saw a first run film. “Wild Hogs”. There were about 250 people at the 4:00 p.m. showing. Pretty good turn out for a small town single screen theatre.
The owner and I talked and she revealed something that many of us already know; which is, how difficult it is for a single screen, low admission price ($5.50) to get first run releases. Anyway, they managed to get “Wild Hogs” in its first week of release and it looks like they’ll do quite well with it.

richardg commented about Paradise Theatre on Jan 20, 2007 at 2:22 pm

Yep, it’s the correct photo.

richardg commented about Loomis's Delevan Drive-In on Jan 2, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Gosh, wrong again-pictures are on drive-in.com. Do a zip code search with 14042 and Loomis' Drive-In will be one of your options. Evidently, even when spelled correctly, the website listed on their brochure doesn’t work.