Comments from RobertAlex

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on May 28, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info! I was under the impression that imax laser could do 4:3. We shall see soon enough. I have seen two films at the Chinese Theater in IMAX Laser and it is spectacular. Same with Dolby Vision, it was just phenomenal at The El Capitian . Best digital images I have ever seen. Hopefully they will release more information soon on Winter Soldier and the aspect ratio they will use with that film before they start Infinity War. Thanks for the reply !

This was the first Imax I have ever been too and have always adored this theater.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on May 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm

cellboy, I am not sure that information about the Alexa 65 is correct. I might be wrong, but doesn’t this info from Arri mean that this lens is capable of a 1.1:43 aspect ratio with the Alexa 65?

ALEXA Plus 4:3 for anamorphic http://www.arri.de/news/news/alexa-plus-43-for-anamorphic/

RobertAlex commented about El Capitan Theatre on May 25, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Came here this weekend to check out Tomorrowland in Dolby Vision. I was sitting in the front row of the balcony, and the entire presentation was great. The Atmos sound was good, not sure if it was this mix or the theater but I have heard Atmos sound way better elsewhere. The picture was really bright and the colors were just incredible. There was no Atmos or Vision trailers which was a shame.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Apr 27, 2015 at 2:44 pm

So that is why the lobby was packed with hundreds of people at 6pm when I got out of “Woman in Gold” last night. We wanted to see the 5pm “2001” show but there were no two seats together other then the front few rows on the side. That is a lot money they had to refund.

RobertAlex commented about AMC Garden State 16 on Apr 10, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I think he is referring to this. http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/9/8373533/dolby-cinema-amc-prime-movie-theater-laser-projector

AMC will begin by converting existing ETX and AMC Prime sites into Dolby Cinema ones. It expects to have four by mid-May: in Los Angeles, Kansas City, Houston, and Atlanta. It plans to have 50 by the end of 2018, and 100 by the end of 2024.

RobertAlex commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 7, 2015 at 11:50 am

yes, there are 4 speakers on the ceiling.

RobertAlex commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 6, 2015 at 3:57 pm

moviebuff, this is/was Grauman’s Chinese Theater and does not show Chinese movies ( but named for the architecture and decor)? I would read the overview above.

RobertAlex commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 6, 2015 at 1:10 pm

the screen does seem a bit wider, and no, there is no masking for IMAX shows. I have heard that it is 96 feet, but also read that it was 91 feet so I am not sure on the exact size, but it is BIG.

RobertAlex commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Apr 6, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I spent the last two weekends at the Chinese, first with the TCM Film Fest and then to see Furious 7 on Friday. The TCM festival was awesome, and to see classic movies ( i saw Affair to Remember, Norma Rae and 1776) on the big screen with almost every seat filled is a wonderful thing. Also, to see that screen properly masked was beautiful. They have movable masking that they used for each film, and I was wish they used that during the IMAX shows. It makes a huge difference.

Furious 7 looked amazing, but the most notable improvement here is what Cliffs said, the sound. It is very discreet, detailed and kicks butt in volume. 4 more channels on the ceiling and one additional channel on each side of the auditorium mid way from the screen to the back speaker. It is not as good as Atmos, but damn if it doesnt come close.

The visuals were stunning. Far superior from the demo i saw two years ago. The blacks were solid, and like Chris said, the colors. OMG the colors…well done indeed!!

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 25, 2015 at 8:10 pm

It’s a pretty good guess. The Chinese IMAX theater in Hollywood is doing the installation now, reopening 4/2 with laser projection and new sound.

RobertAlex commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Mar 12, 2015 at 8:07 pm

The Chinese Theater is closed till 4/2 for installation of the new IMAX Laser Projector and a new immersive sound system. I noticed there were no showings posted so I called to ask. Personally I am psyched to finally get to see hear and this. This also means they will be using the entire screen starting with Fast and Furious 7 (after the TCM film fest is over).

RobertAlex commented about Pacific Culver Stadium 12 on Feb 6, 2015 at 2:56 pm

This theater could use the face-lift, yet i am not sold on the Arclight conversions. They do not change the seating layout, so there are new seats, but the same legroom, in the case of Arclight Sherman Oaks, is dreadful. I hate paying premium prices only to be crammed up against the seat in front of me.

I wish Pacific Theaters would change the Northridge or Chatsworth locations to Arclight, those are dreadful and threadbare, with terrible sound and picture.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Dec 27, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Been here a few times since Interstellar and have been impressed each time. Inherent Vice in 70mm did look a bit grainy but it went with the mood of the story. I was not really sure what the story was fully about but it was a nice touch to see a movie that evoked the 70’s and the presentation did as well.

I can say that the masking issue seems to be fixed!! Both Mockingjay and American Sniper ( both in digital) used the full scope screen and the bottom masking was normal and reached to the bottom of both corners of the screen ! No more distorted image on that great screen. Was also nice to see maybe 50 empty seats today for the 1245 show. I am cautiously optimistic that they figured it out. American Sniper looked great and hopefully they will keep this masking configuration in place for future shows.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I would highly recommend seeing it here if you can. The screen is really awesome when the masking isn’t all jacked up like it is during the digital presentations. They still do not use the full 86 feet of the screen, but its still massive. I sat upstairs for this one, first row on the side as that was all that was left. I normally like to sit downstairs, center aisle seat in the last 4 or 5 rows, but I am tall and if someone is in front of me it doesn’t really bug me so much. If you sit upstairs, the first row center is best as then you wont have anyone in front of you. I like the sound equally from both areas.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Nov 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Finally made it to see Interstellar last night in 70mm at the Dome. I had seen it on opening day at the Universal IMAX and wanted to see it here as well.

The previews were in digital and they looked a bit distorted as usual as the picture didn’t go near the bottom corners of the screen ( I have bitched about that here before). During the Age of Ultron preview my friend turned to me to complain how crappy the picture looked. When the film started and it took up the entire screen he leaned in again and said, that’s better. To my delight, they used the full masking including the bits at the bottom corners. The screen looked as it should, grand and large with a nice curve to it with the picture using the full height and depth of the screen.

It was nice to see the theater about ¾’s full, and (except for the 5 year old behind me asking his dad a question every 2 minutes) the presentation was outstanding. I enjoyed the sound mix here much better then at IMAX and I actually enjoyed the movie more the second time too. Perhaps it was the Dome, or perhaps it was that this time I understood the plot a bit more.

RobertAlex commented about Blog Hiatus on Oct 27, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I love this site….hopefully a hiatus is just that and you will be back really soon!

RobertAlex commented about AFI Silver Theatre on Oct 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I few summers ago (2010 or 2011?) i went to the Star Trek 70mm festival at the Royal, in West Los Angeles before it got chopped up and was still one single screen. They showed the movies on Saturday nights at midnight for a few weeks in a row.

From what I recall, they could not even find a 35mm print of the original Star TreK, The Motion Picture. I think they started the festival with ST2: Wrath of Kahn, which was a horrible 70mm print that was faded and looked all green. It was still a blast, and the sound was fantastic.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about Edwards Grand Palace Stadium 6 on Sep 28, 2014 at 4:49 pm

This theatre has always been a favorite of mine in the Valley. 2 huge auditoriums with 60 foot screens (one with Barco Auro 3d sound) and 4 nice size medium auditoriums with large screens as well. This past year I noticed every time I came here it was nearly empty. Turns out the remodeled AMC Fallbrook a few miles away with auto recliners and reserved seating has killed their business.

They are in the middle of a major renovation, adding reclining seats in all six auditoriums, reducing seating by 50%. It should be completed by November and hopefully create more traffic here. They will also have reserved seating as well. Cannot wait to check it out when done. Next time I got I will try and add pictures.

RobertAlex commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Sep 24, 2014 at 2:30 pm

So from what I read from this thread they are turning the Big N into an IMAX?? wow, although i welcome dual projection and hopefully the new Laser 4K Projector, I feel they can do this without the IMAX brand.

RobertAlex commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Sep 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm

OCRon, thanks for the update! Personally i am not sure how I feel about changing the Big N, although whenever I go it is usually the 7ish showings on a Saturday for the big event movies, since no one is ever there. There have been opening weekends when we were sitting with maybe 50 other people in that huge auditorium. I guess a remodel is the better option to it being chopped up or worse, closed. Did they tell you if they were going to serve food? The part about the swivel tables make me nervous.

As far as the layout, it seems they are going to make it look like the Ziegfeld with both slopped and stadium, that doesnt sound too bad. Hopefully they will go the distance and add in Dolby Atmos and one of the new Laser Projectors, but doubt it.

RobertAlex commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Sep 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm

When they switched to digital in the big auditorium I called and asked the Manager. I think that post is still on this thread. I was told it was a Barco2K 32B. They also told me it was upgradable to 4K as they installed before the 4K projectors (non sony) were available. The Sony 4K cannot properly light up that size screen. Many AMC’s and Regals who all have Sony 4K deals outfit their largest screens with DLP projectors from NEC or Christie or Barco.

RobertAlex commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Sep 4, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I believe all engagements of Ghostbusters had to be presented in 4K for the re release. The Big Newport has a Barco 2K projector.

RobertAlex commented about Rancho Mirage 16 & IMAX on Jun 25, 2014 at 2:44 pm

name should be changed to Rancho Mirage 16 and IMAX, as they opened a digital IMAX in one of their existing auditoriums last month.

RobertAlex commented about Desert IMAX Theatre on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:25 pm

IMAX is gone! UltraStar has stopped showing IMAX films and will convert this to their “UltraMax” brand. I have seen Non-Imax movies on this screen 4 times with the 4K Christie Projectors (when they dont get 70mm prints they show movies via DCP on their non imax projector they installed in 2011) and it is a dark picture..nothing like true Imax. Sad. Here is the article:

CATHEDRAL CITY – Change is coming to the Coachella Valley’s IMAX theater that officials say will mean more first-run movies on the large screen, but not in IMAX format.

The theater is transitioning to UltraMax, a product of UltraStar Cinemas, which manages the Desert IMAX and neighboring 14-screen Mary Pickford Theatre for Cathedral City.

Over the weekend, IMAX lettering was removed from the theater’s exterior. Above the marquee, a banner announcing “Desert Cinema Large Screen Experience” was hung over the former lettering.

“We believe this is better,” Cathedral City Mayor Kathy DeRosa said Sunday. “We had trouble getting first-run movies through IMAX, and the catalog of movies was limited.”

UltraMax will primarily show newly released movies in digital 3-D on the 70-foot-wide by 52-foot-high screen, she said.

The City Council approved the transition more than a month ago, said DeRosa. She said costs would be reduced for the city but couldn’t recall offhand the exact savings.

UltraStar Cinemas took over management of the 14-screen Pickford and 270-seat Desert IMAX theaters in November 2011 under a five-year contract with the city.

A nearly $500,000 digital film projector was installed in the IMAX in July 2011, allowing for more flexibility in the types of movies that can be shown and more revenue for the theater, at 68-510 E. Palm Canyon Drive, officials then said.

Theater and UltraStar officials couldn’t be reached for comment Sunday.

According to its website, UltraStar has at least one other UltraMax theater at the Garden Walk in Anaheim with a 65-foot wide screen “developed to provide an amazing large screen experience similar to those provided by other branded formats.”

RobertAlex
RobertAlex commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Jun 14, 2014 at 3:07 am

Roger, I agree with you 100% which is why I was so disappointed. The problem is not the screen but rather what arclight has done to diminish the affects of the curve. The issue is the masking on the bottom corners of the screen.