Showing 1 - 25 of 74 comments found
Here’s a photo of what happened to the old Plaza 400/Coronet theatre space not long after the Coronet closed. Appears the former cinemas were converted into a casino called Casino Hollywood for a few years.
The Collingwood has closed its doors again, unfortunately. The theatre closed on April 30 due to a dispute between its management and the theatre’s landlord.
Collingwood Theatre set to close next week
According to this article, the current Cinecenta theatre opened at its present location in 1976.
The company listed above as Landmark Celebrity Cinemas (which took over the Bay Theatre after Famous Players closed it) is actually called Celebrity Cinemas, a company that once owned the Towne Cinema in Vernon and was listed by that name in the Film Canada Yearbook. Celebrity Cinemas was an affiliate company of Landmark Cinemas of Canada.
The sale now appears to be official, as the Festival Cinemas website says that the Park is now part of Cineplex Entertainment.
The sale now appears to be official, as the Festival Cinemas website says that the 5th Avenue is now part of Cineplex Entertainment.
Just to note, the Pen-Mar is no longer listed on the Landmark website since it closed nearly six months ago, so its status should now read closed, not open.
The Civic Theatre Society recently announced plans to convert the Civic into an all-digital, three-screen multiplex in time for the summer blockbuster season: Ushering in a new era of possibility at our newly remodelled Civic Theatre
The proposed floorplan for the converted Civic Theatre can be seen here. Once done, theatre seating will consist of 241 seats in the main theatre (the front section of the current auditorium) and 119 seats each in Theatres Two and Three, for a total of 479 seats.
The Plaza notably still has the pre-1988 Famous Players logo as part of its marquee (dating from when that chain owned it), though it’s been years since FP sold the theatre.
According to the Festival Cinemas website, the Ridge is now closed, so its status here should be set to Closed.
Judging from the picture above, it looks like the Elk Drive-In site is now an RV park, though the screen is still intact.
If Cineplex has both the Park and the Fifth Avenue, then that doesn’t bode well for the future of either theatre. When Cineplex first owned the Park, it originally closed that theatre down in 1990 before Schein took it over and reopened it about a month later.
The picture of the Coronet in the above link actually appears to have been taken in or after 1978, not 1959, because of the movies featured on the theatre marquee: The George Burns comedy “Oh, God!” (1977) and the Clint Eastwood flick “Every Which Way but Loose” (1978).
The July 29, 1954 edition of the Prince George Citizen has an ad for the Star-Time’s opening night here, on page 7.
Also, the ad for the Star-Time’s closing movie marathon in the September 21, 1979 edition of the Citizen can be seen here, on page 45. The movies shown that night were the now mostly-forgotten exploitation flicks “The Girl in Room 2A”, “Cry Rape”, “Cry of a Prostitute” and “Autopsy”.
Nope, it was called the Towne Cinema when it first opened in the mid-‘70s.
The September 14, 1979 issue of the Prince George Citizen (seen here) has a display ad for the R.P. Theatre’s opening day on that day on page 70.
Another ad for the R.P. from the October 26, 1979 edition of the Citizen (seen here, on page 43) shows a drawing of the theatre building at the top of the ad, matching the building seen in the Google street view above.
The April 14, 1972 edition of the Prince George Citizen (shown here) has a display ad for the opening of the Silver Kitten Theatre on page 8.
Google Maps pinpointed the wrong location for the address of the Westminster Drive-In completely. The drive-in’s address is actually in the Bridgeview neighborhood of Surrey (right across the Fraser River from New Westminster), and its former location appears to be occupied now by light industry (including a tire store called Action Tire Services), at the corner of 110th Avenue and 125th Street.
According to this site, the McPherson also operated at different times under the names of the Empire Theatre, the York Theatre and the Totem Theatre.
So this means that the theatre building is not demolished, but currently functions as a bank.
According to the current Google street view, the Studio 82 has long since been converted into a restaurant and bar since it closed for movies. The Studio 82’s website is located here:
Studio 82 (Note also the alternate name for 82nd Avenue, Heritage Drive)
Here is the Calgary Herald article from December 24, 1949 describing the upcoming opening of the Hitchin' Post Theatre.
A photo of the Varscona can be seen here.
After National General, the Canadian Theatres circuit ran the Grant Park from 1975 to 1978, then Odeon took over in 1978 and ran it until it went to Cineplex Odeon in 1984.
A photo of what appears to be the Hyland under another name, the Great Orient (when it showed Chinese movies) is shown here. The theatre entrance and marquee above it definitely look the same as in the street view shown above.