Comments from vindanpar

vindanpar commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Oct 21, 2017 at 10:55 am

I really wish this place would only play films suitable for the entire family and when you consider what they play are classics there is no place in a great movie palace for utter trash like Rocky Horror.

I like early Almodovar and John Waters but I don’t want to see it at the Loew’s.

For a party like this it should be family friendly and Phantom should be the star feature WITH the color sequence. I don’t know what gets into the heads of people that plan this stuff.

And what’s up with the digital nonsense?

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Oct 18, 2017 at 4:48 am

As per How To Succeed ad NYer just posted'Coffee Break' filmed but cut and lost.

Stereo track also lost which is most unfortunate because what you hear of it on soundtrack album is terrific. So no stereo first run prints were saved. If anything has been found since I was told this years ago let me know.

vindanpar commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 16, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Though it’s impossible at this point I imagine I’d like to know what the size of the Criterion screen was for 70 MM films like Lawrence and MFL and the size of the South Pacific ‘arcing panel.’

The Variety reviewer said something to the effect that looking at the heads in SP was like looking at Mt Rushmore.

Though he didn’t mean it as a compliment I would have loved to have seen that.

I feel fortunate to have seen a Todd AO print(maybe an original? Boy those cans were big) with magnificent 6 track analog sound at the Warner Cinerama. A great experience as was seeing there MFL and Paint Your Wagon(I know blow-up but the sound blew you out of the theater.) I must be the only person on the planet who loves Marvin singing Wanderin Star with that huge men’s chorus behind him. On stage it could never be like that(and it wasn’t at Encores.) Worth the entire film.

vindanpar commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 15, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Well I don’t know. I just know that everytime I was in it until Alien it was flat. As I said I only read of a huge ‘arcing screen’ in the place was in the Times review of South Pacific available on line even if you don’t have a subscription.

vindanpar commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 15, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Something is very confusing here. The Criterion never had a stage. It was built as a cinema. See the vintage photos of the auditorium from the 30s on one of the previous pages.

vindanpar commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 15, 2017 at 11:05 am

I also saw Superman I here which may have been ‘78 after it moved over from the Astor Plaza and the screen was flat.

Had the theater been twinned before Divine Madness?

vindanpar commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 15, 2017 at 9:27 am

Well that sure is curious. Are you sure you’re not thinking of the Rivoli or Warner?

Throughout the 60s and 70s it was flat. Definitely flat in the 70s. First film I saw there in that decade was the 71 revival of MFL and the last was Alien.

vindanpar commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 15, 2017 at 4:48 am

That makes sense because I saw it that summer at the Fox in Hackensack(beautiful art deco house.)

Four months seems short for a hit roadshow film.

vindanpar commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 14, 2017 at 5:15 pm

The Criterion had a flat screen with curtains but seems to have had a curved screen once for South Pacific which is what I can glean from reviews of the world premiere.

Patton was a hit film and I remember walking as a boy in front of the theater when it was playing there and there was a large sign saying ‘This performance sold out.’

But for some reason I don’t think the roadshow engagement lasted very long. Either it died shortly thereafter or Fox wanted to get it into wide release right away.

I guess the answer would be in Variety which documented everything that was happening every week in all the Times Square theaters. It was my bad luck to have all this die just when I was old enough to go into the city on my own.

In fact when Dolly closed at the Rivoli that summer Variety mentioned that it would be Broadway’s first summer without a roadshow film in a very long time(maybe since ‘52?) And in fact there would only one more summer that would have a roadshow film on Broadway: Fiddler in '72.

vindanpar commented about Broadway Theatre on Oct 14, 2017 at 6:33 am

Now that’s what I call a movie screen! Smilebox for me seems kind of pointless.

vindanpar commented about Loews Lefrak on Oct 14, 2017 at 6:31 am

Now this is a gorgeous 70MM screen. If one only existed still in the NYC area and it would have revivals of those films like they do on the west coast and in Europe.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Oct 13, 2017 at 5:13 am

Harry and Walter ended exclusive area bookings at the Hall. An old time cashier said that was it the place was over. She went back quite a ways. I asked her if she ever thought the place would come to this(hardly any audience, pathetic stage shows) and she said never.

vindanpar commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 3, 2017 at 11:04 am

I saw this presentation and despite being in 35MM it was a beautiful print and as it was the first time I was seeing the film I was pretty overwhelmed.

Though I didn’t know it at the time it was probably missing those scenes and moments Lean had cut shortly after the Criterion NY premiere.

In fact it may have been the cut that the New York Times had lamented when the film was re-released in the early 70s at the Rivoli causing me not to go at that time.

Note however this release uses the original ‘62 artwork which neither the '71 or restoration release utilized.

The restoration release artwork was terrible as was My Fair Lady’s when it was restored. Both should have used the original though Lawrence’s ‘71 looked terrific on the large billboard on the back on the Rivoli and could have been used as well for the restoration.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Oct 2, 2017 at 10:16 am

Or to paraphrase same show ‘Tab Hunter out Troy Donahue in.’

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Sep 18, 2017 at 10:14 am

Bullitt was in terms of its violence and gore a ‘freaky’ movie for the Hall especially as a Thanksgiving film. It doesn’t help that the plot if there is any is impossible to follow. They just cut out ‘bullshit’ for the theater which was put right back in after this engagement.

vindanpar commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Sep 15, 2017 at 6:02 am

And no curtain. Pathetic. Not at all what I hoped Cinerama would be. Think they had to cut the run short and stick in a revival of Romeo and Juliette. One of those what were they thinking exhibitions. Do it right or don’t do it.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Sep 12, 2017 at 4:14 am

Barefoot is still a very funny film. Fonda and Redford are one of the best looking romantic couples ever in the movies. Maybe the last bright Technicolor New York comedy before they became gritty.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Sep 4, 2017 at 1:18 am

What does that mean? They are reserving the seats in the second 2nd mezz? They didn’t do that for the biggest holiday shows.

Sounds like made up PR.

vindanpar commented about Fine Arts Theatre on Sep 2, 2017 at 3:26 am

And though these are all ‘adult’ films this was the very end of when you could bring your children with you and not be concerned about what was going on. Even if something gave you pause you knew your children would have no idea what was going on.

vindanpar commented about Capitol Theatre on Aug 31, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I never miss a Beulah Bondi Cinerama picture.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Aug 29, 2017 at 12:23 pm

NYer posted two Airport ads.

Did that last of its kind Ross Hunter glossy Hollywood production ever look great in the Music Hall. The kind of film the Music Hall was meant to play rather than the blown up made for TV looking films it would show through much of the 70s.

Though there are those who question the idea of the Music Hall showing a disaster film for Easter.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Aug 29, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Gorgeous photo! Too bad it no longer looks like that.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Aug 25, 2017 at 4:59 pm

As per CC’s posting of King Solomon’s Mines I believe I read once on here the magnascope screen was used for the stampede.

There should be a list of movies that used the screen and for which sequences. But I guess no one at this point would remember or that any record was kept.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Aug 23, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Also as you can see MM opened far too late in the summer. It should have opened at the latest at the beginning of August but the supremely lame That Touch of Mink(will Cary lay Doris in Bermuda? Scheisse.) lasted far too long pushing back this film so far it had two spectacular opening weeks and then went down like the Titanic after the Labor day weekend. And it should have been one of the Hall’s long runs.

vindanpar commented about Radio City Music Hall on Aug 23, 2017 at 9:58 pm

The Music Man in Technirama on screen and Bolero on stage. Had to have been one of the Music Hall’s great shows. Why weren’t they having programs like this in the 70s? Maybe because Hollywood lost the knack for these kinds of entertainments and the Music Hall could no longer afford to produce Bolero.

I just missed out.

Almost got to see Music Man there in the late 70s there during their short revival period. It was announced but then right before it was to play it was cancelled and Gypsy replaced it which I’ve always liked and was happy to see at the Hall. Still would have preferred TMM.