7074 N. Clark Street,
10 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Ascher Brothers Inc.
Previous Names: North Shore Cinema
News About This Theater
- Jan 24, 2006 — Demolition of the Historic Adelphi Theater
- Oct 18, 2004 — Plans To Reopen Adelphi Theater Put In Hibernation
- Sep 16, 2004 — Adelphi Opening Its Doors Again!
The Adelphi Theatre was opened November 10, 1917 with Emily Stevens in “Outwitted”. It was operated by the Ascher Brothers circuit. It was designed by local architect John E.O. Pridmore. The theatre stood on N. Clark Street at W. Estes Avenue in Chicago’s Rogers Park neighborhood.
In the 1930’s, the Adelphi Theatre received an Art Deco remodeling. The theatre was modernized during the 1940’s and again in the 1950’s. It began to show second-run features starting in the late-1960’s, and closed briefly in the early-1980’s, after several years screening Spanish movies.
In the mid-1980’s, the Adelphi Theatre reopened as the North Shore Cinema, but was again known as the Adelphi Theatre when it began to show East Indian films and became the premiere venue for Bollywood features in the Chicagoland area, despite its down-on-the-heels appearance both inside and out.
The Adelphi Theatre closed in January 2002. Sadly, the still-viable theatre was demolished in January 2006.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.